Need info in using Winbatch to automate a custom web application

Started by tbrown@ucasd.org, March 18, 2016, 09:45:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbrown@ucasd.org

I have a web application that I use to download reports and have used WinBatch to auto-magically login to the web application and click on (navigate) pages then enter some values (like a date) then run and download a report.  Currently, I used the recorder to capture mouse moving and clicks, plus some TABs and keystokes and I get it to do what I need.  But if the window is off a bit or something is off the thing fails.  I captured my CRTL-F and find certain areas on the page and that helped, but if there are other tools to use, I do not know them.  Are there other functions that would help?  Thanks, T

td

Not sure what you mean by 'the recorder' but assuming you mean WinMarco, there are ways to modify a WinMacro generated script to correct a window being off a bit problem.  One simple approach that sometime works depending on why your window is off a bit is to maximize the window before recording a macro and then modifying the recorded script to maximize the target window before it executes any key strokes or mouse moves.  See 'WinZoom' in the Consolidated WIL Help file for details.

There are may other approaches to  automating HTTP related tasks.  Some include using the WinInet extender, COM Automation or CLR hosting to skip any UI.  Or you can use Roboscritper and the Control Manager extender to automate the UI without sending key strokes or mouse activity.

You can find more information about these subjects on the Tech Database site (link above) and the Consolidated WIL Help file.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade