2008c compiler

Started by archimede, October 07, 2013, 06:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archimede

Is the 2008c compiler compatible with Windows 7?
I have WinBatch studio 2013c and compiler 2008c and I don't know if the compiled version of any script is compatible with Windows 7.

snowsnowsnow

Quote from: archimede on October 07, 2013, 06:07:25 AM
I have WinBatch studio 2013c and compiler 2008c and I don't know if the compiled version of any script is compatible with Windows 7.

I think the official response is that some later version is needed in order to be sure that it will work under Windows 7.

But it is almost certain to work.  Most software that worked under DOS 2.0 still works under Windows 7, after all..

Deana

Version 2009C is the minimum supported version for Windows 7. Here is a table that shows WinBatch version platform support.: http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/tsleft.web+WinBatch+!WinBatch~Platform~Support.txt
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

td

Quote from: archimede on October 07, 2013, 06:07:25 AM

WinBatch 2008C was released before Windows 7 so it does not contain any changes made in WinBatch for Windows 7.  The first version of WinBatch that was both tested on and contains changes for Windows 7 is 2009C (October 16, 2009).  Subsequent versions of WinBatch have additional Windows 7 changes as the result of problems found internally and by users.  You can go through the list of fixes and enhancements to see Windows 7 changes starting at 2009C.  Keep in mind that things like the change we made to the compiled script manifest may or may not effect the behavior of one or more bits of WinBatch functionality. In part this may depend on the configuration of the OS running the compiled script.  In shot, we recommend upgrading to the latest version of WinBatch to insure compatibility but if you choose not to upgrade, test your script thoroughly on your targeted OS version to make sure it is compatible. 

Quote from: snowsnowsnow on October 07, 2013, 07:09:28 AM

I think the official response is that some later version is needed in order to be sure that it will work under Windows 7.

But it is almost certain to work.  Most software that worked under DOS 2.0 still works under Windows 7, after all..

MSFT makes both documented and undocumented changes to the various Windows APIs with every version of the Windows OS.  WinBatch makes use of many of the various API functions and classes, and also makes use of new ones as they appear. By definition neither of these things are true for 'DOS 2.0' software.   So it is, at best, disingenuous to suggest that there is some kind of relationship between the viability of some old DOS program and WinBatch.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

snowsnowsnow

I don't understand your objection.