How assign a Hot Key within a Winbatch Script to the application itself?

Started by pguild, May 02, 2019, 09:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pguild

How do I attach a hot key to an .exe?  I did this before and it worked nicely, but now I can't recall how I did it or find sample code.
I know it can be done.  I was able to launch my Winbatch programs by hitting a hot key and I did not have to do this manually with right clicking on an .exe and so on.

I am seeking clarity on this issue.  Thanks! :)

td

One approach is to create a Desktop shortcut using ShortCutmake and ShortcutExtra.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

pguild

Thanks. Where do I find Shortcut Make or Shortcut Extra? -- Oops! nevermind I see they are built-in functions!

td

If you only need your shortcuts on a system with WinBatch already installed, you could also consider adding shortcut keys to a PopMenu menu item of your making.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

pguild

If a shortcut key already exists for another app and I assign that shortcut key to my Winbatch compiled app, what happens?  Does my shortcut key override the other one?

td

Couldn't say for sure but it certainly isn't advised.  You would have to try it to find out how the OS handles it.
  - Dr. Tom Cade