Postie Problems ... Anyone else?

Started by mhall, November 08, 2017, 12:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhall

Hey All,

Is any one currently successfully using Postie with Yahoo! mail services?

I use Yahoo! hosting and email for a business site and I've been using a Postie solution to send email via my business address for quite a while. However, I am now getting authorization failures ( login failed AUTH012 is the error message from kStatusInfo) when attempting to send with Postie, though I haven't changed anything on my side code or configuration-wise.

I've been poking at the settings for the past couple of days and haven't been able to resolve it.

The basic settings Yahoo! requires are:

smtp.bizmail.yahoo.com
SSL on port 465

and, of course, my business mail username and password.

I can successfully connect and send using those settings via Outlook and Gmail clients.

In trying to find a way around this, I found a command line tool called SWithMail and I can use it to send successfully, if I change the security settings to TLS on port 587.

However, Postie fails, regardless of the settings (TLS on 587 or SSL on 465).

I'm WB 2017B and made sure I had the latest Postie extender and have tried this on a Windows 7 and Windows 10 machine.

I have an email into hosting support, but don't expect too much from them. Their service is pretty much non-existent.

I just wanted to see if anyone else used Yahoo services and was able to send email through them using Postie? Or if anyone had any other thoughts about something configuration-wise I could check or knows of of something that could make Postie fail?

I can re-work my existing solution to use SWithMail ... but I don't like when things break inexplicably and would rather keep using WB solutions, if possible.

Thanks for any thoughts or tips,
~Micheal

JTaylor

Do they an have an option like Google where you have to tell it to allow such things?   Can't remember the exact wording right now but by default you can't send mail through Google with Postie.

Jim

td

You can certainly send an email message using Google's SMTP service and the Postie Extender.  The only requirements that I am aware of are that you specify port 587 and "tls" in the appropriate KInit parameters along with the usual account info and correct SMTP server URL.   I don't recall ever having to change any settings associated with my Google account to make that happen but then there is the age related business to consider...

I also don't recall ever trying to send a message using Yahoo's SMTP service nor do I recall a user ever reporting a problem when using Postie to send email messages via Yahoo.  I also searched our collection of user reported Postie issues and didn't find any references to Yahoo there either.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

I didn't say you couldn't.  I said there was a setting one has to turn on to use it.  It is the "Less Secure Apps" setting.  Unless I am just confused and had to turn that on for something else....or maybe it is no longer needed???  Has been a while since I turned that on.    Was just offering it as a possibility in case Yahoo just implemented something like that.

Jim

mhall

Hi Jim,

In Yahoo, in your account security settings, they require you to turn on two factor verification and create a special password for use with external applications.

This was added after the revelation of last year's massive Yahoo security breach.

I did both last Fall and it's been working fine up my trying it this last week (to my knowledge - I hadn't tried to send using Postie for a couple of months, I last successfully used it in July).

Apparently, Google used to have a similar function where you could allow an external "less secure" application to access your account, but they've done away with the option (at least my account settings said it was no longer available as a feature).

Sending is still working just fine via Outlook and I added my Yahoo credentials to my Gmail account last night and I can send successfully via my Yahoo account using Gmail's UI. And, like I mentioned, this SWithMail application has so far been able to successfully send email using the supplied credentials.

It's just my code and Postie that isn't cooperating at the moment.

Extremely likely the "my code" part is the culprit ... I'm just not seeing that any changes were made there that would explain it.

I'll continue looking ...

Thanks,
Micheal

mhall

Alright ... an update.

Clearly the problem is something on my end.

I just pulled together the most bare bones script I could and was able to successfully send an email.

I've got some wrapper functions in between for building/sending emails so there's got to be something broken in there. Strange that it results in an authorization error though ... led me down a not-so-merry path ...

So Postie == good.
My code == bad.

Thanks guys,
Micheal

JTaylor

td

Quote from: JTaylor on November 08, 2017, 02:09:05 PM
I didn't say you couldn't.  I said there was a setting one has to turn on to use it.  It is the "Less Secure Apps" setting.  Unless I am just confused and had to turn that on for something else....or maybe it is no longer needed???  Has been a while since I turned that on.    Was just offering it as a possibility in case Yahoo just implemented something like that.

Jim

Didn't think that you said it couldn't be done. Simply affirming that it can be done.  At one time Google did have a setting to allow external email clients to use the SMTP protocol over port 25.   Google stopped supporting port 25 many moons ago, however.   
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

mhall

Well ... thanks for being my rubber ducks.

It's fixed. And it was a stupid, stupid, *stupid* mistake that I was staring right past. (That authorization error was actually an authorization error ... somewhere along the way I mistook the meaning of a value, overwrote it, and was sending the wrong credentials).

I just wish I could have seen it before posting and before wasting hours ...

So I'm happy it's fixed. Sad I'm an idiot.

Thanks guys,
Micheal

kdmoyers

if I had a dollar for every time I've done that, I'd be writing this from a lounge chair on a white sand beach.
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

mhall

I'm glad I'm not the only would be millionaire ...  ;D