Auto open DropListBox

Started by Jeremy Whilde, April 17, 2015, 06:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeremy Whilde

Is there any way to open a dialog with a Drop ListBox already open so when users type it will start narrowing the open list? I know you can set the focus with the Tab order so that the box has focus and will start active, but how do/can you do the equivalent of clicking the dropdown? Thought DialogControlSet may help in a callback but can only seem to set the default selection and text colour but cannot seem to open the list, can this be done?

Thanks JW

JTaylor

Not that I am aware of unless you start playing around with Mouse stuff.   If you want an open list I would consider the ItemListBox idea.    Sounds like you are trying to use a DropList like an ItemList anyway.

Jim

Jeremy Whilde

Quote from: JTaylor on April 17, 2015, 06:33:21 AM
Not that I am aware of unless you start playing around with Mouse stuff.   If you want an open list I would consider the ItemListBox idea.    Sounds like you are trying to use a DropList like an ItemList anyway.

Jim

Sort of the customer likes the dropdown everything in one list and one window and they can have a small window if the sub category in the list has only a few items <10 and then a larger window if there are 50+ items in the subcatagory . Will look at the listbox and editbox idea and see what it comes out like, is there any example code available?

Thanks JW

JTaylor

Not sure if I have sample code split out from production code or not.  Might be something the in the Tech Database.   I have to take off now or would put something together.   When I return, if you haven't found anything, I'll see what I can do. 

Also, you can still resize your Dialog like you are doing now.

Jim

Jeremy Whilde

Jim

OK appreciate your help and suggestions, don't think I have seen anything in the database but haven't looked directly for the combination of listbox & edit box so will have a look.

Thanks JW

JTaylor

Hopefully this will be helpful.

Jim

td

This is crude when compared to Jim's example and is also much more data dependent but it illustrates another approach.  The basic idea is to narrow a data search using a pre-built index.  In the example data is extracted from a larger file and the  index is created on the fly to make it 'copy-and-pasteable' from the forum.  These tasks could be done before hand and the dialog script would then only need to load the data and keys from files.

Code (winbatch) Select
;;============================================================
;; Data dependent processing of a flat file containing
;; known items already is sort order.
;;
;; This example uses a one character key array but the length
;; can be adjusted to match the data for  best performance.

aRaw     = ArrayFileGet( DirHome():"wil.aqh" )
nMaxRaw  = ArrInfo(aRaw, 1) -1
nMaxData = nMaxRaw/3
aData    = ArrDimension(nMaxData+1)
aKey     = ArrDimension(27,2)

;; Set first key array element
aKey[0,0] = StrUpper(StrSub(aRaw[0],1,1))
aKey[0,1] = 0
nMaxKey   = 0
nIndex    = 0

;; Extract the sorted data from the raw input file
;; and build a first character key array based
;; on the extracted data.
for i = 0 to nMaxRaw by 3
   aData[nIndex] = aRaw[i]
   strFirst = StrUpper(StrSub(aData[nIndex],1,1))
   if strFirst != aKey[nMaxKey,0]
      nMaxKey += 1
      aKey[nMaxKey,0] = strFirst
      aKey[nMaxKey,1] = nIndex
   endif
   nIndex += 1
next

; End of data key row.
nMaxKey += 1
aKey[nMaxKey, 0] = '['  ; First character past 'Z' (maintains sort order for searching)
aKey[nMaxKey, 1] = nMaxData

if nMaxKey < 26 then ArrayRedim(aKey, nMaxKey+1, 2) ; Remove blank elements to aid binary searching.

;; Initialize the ITEMBOX Variable.
ibVariable1 = ArrayItemize(aData)

;; Callback that implements a kind of autocomplete functionality.
#DefineSubroutine AutoComExCb(AutoComEx_Handle,AutoComEx_Event,AutoComEx_Name,AutoComEx_EventInfo,AutoComEx_ChangeInfo)
switch AutoComEx_Event                                   ; Switch based on Dialog Message type
case @deInit                                          ; Standard Initialization message
   DialogProcOptions(AutoComEx_Handle,@deEdText,@TRUE)
   DialogProcOptions(AutoComEx_Handle,@deIbSelect,@TRUE)
   return(@retDefault)

case @deEdText                                        ; ID "EditBox_1"  ebVariable1 Edit 1

strUser = StrTrim(DialogControlGet(AutoComEx_Handle, "EditBox_1",  @dcText))

;; Find the starting and ending data array indices.
   nKey = Arraysearch(aKey,StrUpper(StrSub(strUser,1,1)),@Stringsort)
   if nKey >= 0  && nKey < nMaxKey
      nUser  = StrLen(strUser)
      nLast  = aKey[nKey+1, 1] - 1

;; Find the first data array element that matches to the end of the user input.
      for i = aKey[nKey, 1] to nLast
         if Stricmp(strUser, StrSub(aData[i], 1, nUser)) == 0
            ;; Scroll the first matching data element to the top of the ITEMBOX.
            ;; Many other things could be done here.  For example, displaying
            ;; only matching items and resizing to match the number of items
            ;; in the partial list.
            DialogControlSet(AutoComEx_Handle, "ItemBox_1",  @dcScroll, i+1)
            break
         endif
      next
   endif
   return(@retDefault)

case @deIbSelect                                      ; ID "ItemBox_1"  ibVariable1
   ; Process selection here.
   return(@retDefault)

endswitch                                             ; AutoComEx_Event
return(@retDefault)
#EndSubroutine                                        ; End of Dialog Callback AutoComExCallbackProc

AutoComExFormat=`WWWDLGED,6.2`

AutoComExCaption=`AutoCompleteEx`
AutoComExX=181
AutoComExY=126
AutoComExWidth=210
AutoComExHeight=160
AutoComExNumControls=004
AutoComExProcedure=`AutoComExCb`
AutoComExFont=`DEFAULT`
AutoComExTextColor=`DEFAULT`
AutoComExBackground=`DEFAULT,DEFAULT`
AutoComExConfig=0

AutoComEx001=`057,145,032,010,PUSHBUTTON,"PushButton_OK",DEFAULT,"OK",1,10,@csDefButton,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,DEFAULT`
AutoComEx002=`133,145,034,010,PUSHBUTTON,"PushButton_Cancel",DEFAULT,"Cancel",0,20,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,DEFAULT`
AutoComEx003=`095,013,088,122,ITEMBOX,"ItemBox_1",ibVariable1,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,30,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,DEFAULT`
AutoComEx004=`011,015,066,014,EDITBOX,"EditBox_1",ebVariable1,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,40,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,DEFAULT,DEFAULT`

ButtonPushed=Dialog("AutoComEx")
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Happened to notice a couple of shortcomings in the above script so the script has been updated to correct those problems.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade