x64 ODBC Extender

Started by Thekub, December 04, 2017, 10:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thekub

We use some custom WinBatch code during our SCCM imaging process, one aspect of that is ODBC functions for logging and name generation.  With our move to WIN10 UEFI we had to migrate to an x64 WinPE WIM which can't run x86 code.  Any potential on having an x64 bit ODBC extender added to the library?

td

Given all the other ways that WinBatch offers database connectivity, the ODBC extender does not generate a lot of user interest.  There is some possibility that it may be ported to 64-bit but it is not likely to happen in the near future.

It is supposedly possible to create a x64 PE image that includes WOW64 - the 32-bit subsystem for 64-bit windows - but I have never tried it and it may be more work that it is worth.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Thekub

We verified that ADO operations worked within PE, the hope was to try and keep the code that was already created.  Ripping out all of the extender functions and replacing them (tantamount to a full rewrite) was not an exciting proposition. 

Adding WOW64 to PE was evaluated but we came to the same conclusion. 

chrislegarth

Just my 2 cents.  I use the ODBC extender all the time.  Sometimes no feedback simply means that everything is working.  :D

td

User interest is tracked by more than a single metric like 'feedback' but tracking user interest is not an exact science.  More like a hopefully educated guess...
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade