ADSI Extender failure with Windows Server 2012

Started by Bodokan, September 27, 2013, 12:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodokan

Hello WinBatch Community!

We try to read a property from a LDAP (Novell edir) Server.
On Windows Server 2008 R2 there is all fine and we get the right values.
On Windows Server 2012 we get the attached error:

WIL Extender Error: 246: Property's Syntax not supported.

Here is the script ->

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;Load Appropriate Extender
AddExtender("WWADS44I.DLL")
debug(@on)
; Set credentials.
dsSetCredent("CN=reader,DC=users,DC=system", "Password")
; Path of user object "Rusty Gate"
sAdsiPath = "LDAP://ldap.domain.com/CN=p9999,DC=users,DC=auth,O=css,DC=data"
sProperty = "fullName" ; What we want to get.
sList = dsGetProperty(sAdsiPath, sProperty)
sList = StrReplace(sList,@TAB, @CRLF)
Message("Property Value(s)", sList)
Exit
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks
Rene

koawmfot

does the property look different in 2012 or is the syntax actually different?

you can try ADExplorer for sysinternals to check the actual properties and see if something is different.

Deana

Yes, you will need to confirm that that property name does actually exist.

Maybe try displayName or givenName instead?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms675090(v=vs.85).aspx
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

td

Property syntax is determined by the LDAP server and not the client, Windows 2012 server in this case, and MSFT has not documented any changes to ADSI that would affect how 3rd party property type syntax is interpreted by ADSI. This makes it is difficult to understand exactly what is going on.

WinBatch support using ADSI COM Automation object and dotNet classes so you could try using one of those technologies to connect to the LDAP server.  There are COM Automation examples in the Tech Database and you can always post questions here if you run into difficulties.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

DAG_P6

Since the OP mentioned that the target LDAP server is a Novell eDir, what about the NetWareX extender?
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.

td

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

If the Novell Client is not installed, then the NetWareX extender won't be usable.  Using ADSI only requires LDAP, which has been built into Windows for quite some time now.

td

It is my (all be it very limited) understanding that the there is no guarantee that the Novell Netware service is even available on the OS running the eDirectory service.   I also have concerns about the reliability of the NetwareX extender when used with the latest versions of the Novell Client 2 that would likely need to be used on Win2k12.   
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

Quote from: td on September 30, 2013, 07:47:27 AM
It is my (all be it very limited) understanding that the there is no guarantee that the Novell Netware service is even available on the OS running the eDirectory service.   I also have concerns about the reliability of the NetwareX extender when used with the latest versions of the Novell Client 2 that would likely need to be used on Win2k12.

I have a lot of native C++ code that makes direct use of the Novell XPLAT API Library functions, and it is running with Novell Client for Windows 8, Win2K8 R2 & Win2K12.  So far, I have not been experiencing any run time problems.  Given what I know about the internals of the NetWareX extender, namely that it uses the same library functions in the Novell Client, I wouldn't be anticipating any significant problems with it.

td

Quote from: ChuckC on October 01, 2013, 12:48:01 PM
I have a lot of native C++ code that makes direct use of the Novell XPLAT API Library functions, and it is running with Novell Client for Windows 8, Win2K8 R2 & Win2K12.  So far, I have not been experiencing any run time problems.  Given what I know about the internals of the NetWareX extender, namely that it uses the same library functions in the Novell Client, I wouldn't be anticipating any significant problems with it.

We have had a couple of Netware extender user reports that would seem to suggest otherwise.   
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

Quote from: td on October 01, 2013, 01:21:03 PM
Quote from: ChuckC on October 01, 2013, 12:48:01 PM

We have had a couple of Netware extender user reports that would seem to suggest otherwise.   

Interesting...  Can you elaborate in more detail what types of failures are being observed?

td

- Dr. Tom Cade