WinVersion not working on Windows 8.1

Started by DirkM, October 01, 2013, 11:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirkM

Hello,

I'm running compiler 2013C and WinVersion seems to be broken on Windows 8.1. The example returns 6.2 9200 instead of 6.3 9600

minorver = WinVersion(0)
majorver = WinVersion(1)
buildver = WinVersion(2)
csdver = WinVersion(3)
Message(winversion(5), StrCat(majorver, ".", minorver, " ",buildver, " ", csdver))

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Dirk

Deana

As I understand it. The underlying API used by the WinVersion function lies to you unless you explicitly embed an application manifest to indicate your app is compatible with Windows 8.1.

Currently WinBatch 2013C is manifested to support up to Windows 8. Looks like our application manifests will need to be updated to support 8.1 to get WinVersion to function properly.

As a possible workaround. You might be able to write a short script that completely replaces the application Manifest that is built into a compiled WinBatch exe with your own.
One limitation is that you cannot "code sign" your exe in the compiler step. However, if needed, you can code sign the exe after the manifest it replaced. Basically you will compile your exe with NO embedded manifest. Then use binary operations to insert your own custom manifest.

Reference:
http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/tsleft.web+WinBatch/Manifest+External~Manifest~with~WinBatch.txt.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa374191(v=vs.85).aspx
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

DirkM

Deana,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will wait for the next WinBatch update. For now using WMI seems to do the trick and returns the version properly.

As a side note, I cannot believe how much Microsoft messed up Widows, first with Windows 8 and now even further with Windows 8.1. And I'm not even talking about the UI.

Deana

Quote from: DirkM on October 01, 2013, 12:03:17 PM
Deana,

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I will wait for the next WinBatch update. For now using WMI seems to do the trick and returns the version properly.

As a side note, I cannot believe how much Microsoft messed up Widows, first with Windows 8 and now even further with Windows 8.1. And I'm not even talking about the UI.

Our next release should contain support for Windows 8.1. In the meanwhile, sounds like you have found a workaround that works for you.
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

td

Quote from: DirkM on October 01, 2013, 12:03:17 PM

If you are at all familiar with the history of the computer industry, think Digital Equipment Corporation.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

DirkM

I was more thinking of BlackBerry but DEC works also.

Time to start working on an OS X version of WinBatch...

DirkM

And just to add to this, I was detecting the version and domain with objRootDSE = ObjectOpen("LDAP://RootDSE") during the initial phase of Windows setup (before the last reboot) and while it still works in Windows 8.0, it now fails in Windows 8.1. The computer has joined the domain but WMI and other components do not seem to be initialized/running at that time anymore.

koawmfot

from 7 to 8 to probably now 8.1 (i am setting up the bits for install now...) certain services need to be running or avaiblabe for WMI.  try starting some services first.   look for obvious ones.

for any windows setup actions start these, or make sure they are running:
   wntSvcStart("", "Dhcp", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "Dnscache", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "LanmanWorkstation", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "Netlogon", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "lmhosts", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "DcomLaunch", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "Winmgmt", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "ProfSvc", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "eventlog", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "COMSysApp", 1000, "", "")
      wntSvcStart("", "EventSystem", 1000, "", "")

sometimes too with win8, applicationexperience might need to be running.

also, i found i'll have WMI issues in setup sometimes if the setup bit in the registry is on.  if it is, i capture the value, change it to 0, then run my WMI.  then set it back to what it was.  --> RegQueryDword(@RegMachine, "SYSTEM\Setup[SystemSetupInProgress]")

td

Quote from: DirkM on October 01, 2013, 03:05:48 PM

The  DEC analogy did not originate with me.  It comes from current MSFT employees who also happened to work at DEC.  They did more than just state it as an opinion, they offered  analysis and evidence to back the assertion.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

snowsnowsnow

Quote from: td on October 02, 2013, 07:53:15 AM
Quote from: DirkM on October 01, 2013, 03:05:48 PM

The  DEC analogy did not originate with me.  It comes from current MSFT employees who also happened to work at DEC.  They did more than just state it as an opinion, they offered  analysis and evidence to back the assertion.

Please, please, please!  Can you say more about what the connections/similarities are?

Enquiring minds...

td

According to our local paper and Rueters, ValueAct (which reportedly strong armed the rights to seat on MSFT's board)  and a couple of other large share holders want to oust Chairman Bill.  I have very little success predicting the future but it could get interesting.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Sharpenologist

Quote from: td on October 02, 2013, 01:18:00 PM
... I have very little success predicting the future but it could get interesting.

I believe this prediction will be 100% correct ... much like the Ancient Chinese Curse: 'May you live in interesting times ...'

From my point of view, ousting Mr. Gates wouldn't have a significant impact on the day to day operations or marketing based decisions [like Win8] at Microsoft ...

Just my $0.02, not adjusted for inflation.

td

Quote from: Sharpenologist on October 03, 2013, 11:33:10 AM

I believe this prediction will be 100% correct ... much like the Ancient Chinese Curse: 'May you live in interesting times ...'

From my point of view, ousting Mr. Gates wouldn't have a significant impact on the day to day operations or marketing based decisions [like Win8] at Microsoft ...

Just my $0.02, not adjusted for inflation.

You need to ask yourself why activist shareholders would want to dump chairman Bill. If you have spent any time following the business history of these things, you can make a few educated guesses.  Hint: although they may claim so it isn't because they are interested in the long term health of Microsoft.   They simply want to pump up the the stock values. How do they pump up the stock price? Well, history tells us that they might do it by getting rid of employees at all levels, out sourcing offshore and splitting the company up into baby Bills. Just to name a few possibilities.  To do these things they need to have their guy or gale in the driver's seat as both CEO and chairman. 

If any of this does come about, it would have a huge impact on both the direction of product development and marketing.  But as I said, I have no skill predicting the future.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Sharpenologist

Quote from: td on October 03, 2013, 01:03:46 PM
You need to ask yourself why activist shareholders would want to dump chairman Bill. If you have spent any time following the business history of these things, you can make a few educated guesses.  Hint: although they may claim so it isn't because they are interested in the long term health of Microsoft.   They simply want to pump up the the stock values. How do they pump up the stock price? Well, history tells us that they might do it by getting rid of employees at all levels, out sourcing offshore and splitting the company up into baby Bills. Just to name a few possibilities.  To do these things they need to have their guy or gale in the driver's seat as both CEO and chairman. 

If any of this does come about, it would have a huge impact on both the direction of product development and marketing.  But as I said, I have no skill predicting the future.

I sit corrected ... I hadn't thought that far down the chain, and I really should have because I've worked for a couple of companies that went through that scenario ...

In my not so humble opinion, that would be a very bad scenario in a whole lot of ways.

Ugh.

I suppose the good news is that considering who still owns MOST of the company, ousting Mr. Bill is not very likely ...

-dmm

td

Quote from: Sharpenologist on October 10, 2013, 10:41:22 AM
I sit corrected ... I hadn't thought that far down the chain, and I really should have because I've worked for a couple of companies that went through that scenario ...

In my not so humble opinion, that would be a very bad scenario in a whole lot of ways.

Ugh.

I suppose the good news is that considering who still owns MOST of the company, ousting Mr. Bill is not very likely ...

-dmm

I am not trying to be argumentative but many are mistaken about who holds MSFT 's stock.  According to reports based on SEC filings,  about 66% of MSFT's shares, give or take a few percent, are held by a little over a 1000 large institutional investors. Gates and Ballmer together own maybe 8% or 9% at the most.  It is these institutional investors that will ultimately determine the fate of MSFT.   Reportedly, these big investors are unhappy primarily because the value of MSFT's market capitalization has dropped in half over the last several years.  The big unknown is just how unhappy these folks are.  If they are really unhappy, they just might decide to hand their proxies to activist investors like ValueAct.  And ValueAct and other activist investors just might consider attempting a coup d'état, if they think they have the support.

Of course, whether or not any of this actually happens is completely unknown to me.
  - Dr. Tom Cade