Window does not pop up

Started by Andreas Laeuen, January 31, 2015, 01:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Laeuen

Runing latest WinBatch on XP Pro

Whenever I start a script, that beginns with (e.g.)

:Beginn
   Beep
   Anfangsfrage=AskYesNo("Bin ich mit Level 8 angemeldet?","... wenn nein jetzt anmelden")

I here the beep but no window opens. I see the script is running in taskbar. No reaction to left or right mouse click. When I change towards the script inside Taskmanager, the window of script will be shown in front of another (disturbing) large white Window telling me something like "Einen Moment bitte. WinBatch arbeitet..." I can not close this windows. It helps to make it very small, so it doesn't disturb.

It happens on ANY sript with all sorts of commands in the beginning!

Would be very greatfull for an help.

td

There aren't any known issues with WinBatch 2015A and Windows XP.  You might want to consider an uninstall and reinstall of WinBatch and/or take a look at your systems event log for some kind of a hardware issue.

Recently, I was having strange problems with a few applications on my main workstation. Others worked just fine. As it turned out the new RAID controller drivers I had to install when I replaced a failing hard drive where incompatible with other system components.  Ended up having to buy a new workstation because the type of drive that came with the workstation and was compatible with the old RAID driver was no long available... 
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

....IFICantBYTE

I think that large white window you are talking about is the normal Winbatch interpreter window... it is the main window of WinBatch and is always there, (although it may be minimised), when you run any winbatch script.
Other Winbatch windows like the AskYesNo and even dialogs are children of it.
I just think that your AskYesNo window is not being displayed at the top most level above other windows you have open, so that you don't see it when you run the script until you bring the task to the front via taskmanager... you can't close the big white window without closing the AskYesNo message box first.
You could try playing with the WinHide("") command to hide the interpreter window and/or WindowOnTop command to bring its children to the top??
- not sure - Tony would know, I think he just misunderstood your actual issue this time, which is unusual... that RAID thing must have really messed him up ;)!
PS. - I think there is an IntControl command for related stuff too, but I can't remember what one off-hand.

Regards,
....IFICantBYTE

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong. :)

td

I believe I understand the OPs problem.  But first a bit of background.  The 'AskYesNo' windows is an application model dialog owned by the WinBatch application window and not a child window.  This means that you should not be able to restore the WinBatch window without the  'AskYesNo' displaying on top of it in the z order.  The one exception would be the the 'AskYesNo' window having the visible style removed.  Otherwise, if the 'AskYesNo' window is not displaying after calling the same named function but before dismissing the 'AskYesNo' windows when you restore the WinBatch windows then something has run amok.

If, as I believe the OP is saying, the 'AskYesNo' window is not initially displayed until you place the focus on the task manger window then some process is stealing window focus and not allowing the 'AskYesNo'  window to be on top the z order.  This could be the result of some kind of system problem as previously mentioned or it could be the result of some misbehaving process already running on the system.  The OP might want to review any recently installed  applications that might have a the top most style. You might also want to check how you are starting your script.   It is possible that if you are starting your script as the child of another the process, the parent process my be stealing the input focus.

This sort of thing is usually more of a problem on Windows 8.0 because it appears that MSFT didn't quite get some of UI sub-system refactoring done correctly.  It is much less of a problem on Window 8.1 or pre-Windows 8.0 systems, however.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

If the problem is simply a foreground window issue then the following workaround at the top of a script may help.  It may temporarily fix the problem but it would be best to discover the root cause of the problem. The WinActivate("") line of the script is not normally necessary to display the 'AskYesNo' message box.

Code (winbatch) Select

WinHide("")
WinActivate("")
Anfangsfrage=AskYesNo("Bin ich mit Level 8 angemeldet?","... wenn nein jetzt anmelden")

Again the 'AskYesNo' is not a child window and it does have the DS_SETFOREGROUND style so it should display immediately with the WinBatch main window staying iconized and  without using the above script's WinHide and WinActivate.
  - Dr. Tom Cade