Windows Server 2016

Started by JTaylor, April 29, 2017, 09:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTaylor

In case you want to update your documentation it appears that instructions for Server 2008 work for Server 2106 and assume they would for 2012 as well.

Also, this is a bit off-topic but does anyone here know for certain whether IE 11 should work on Server 2016?   It isn't there and can't get it to install but when I called Microsoft they said it does work but the person I talked to didn't fill me with much confidence.  I have done a lot of searching but can't find a clear answer but found responses that seemed to indicate that it part of 2016.   It was clear that Edge isn't included but seems odd that they would ship a product that "required" one to go use something like Firefox or Chrome.

Thanks.

Jim

td

Yes, as per our usual practice for new operating systems, we tested WebBatch on Windows 2016 release candidate and release versions using IIS.  It installs and operates more or less like previous versions of IIS dating back to IIS 7.0 - Windows 2008.    We do not test other Web servers.

Can't recall if the Internet Explorer UI was on the system or not.  But do seem to recall that the underlying COM Automation objects like the browser and DOM existed on the system.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Just thought it might be helpful to users if the documentation reflected that information since if one looks at the instructions the immediate thought is, "Does it work on the newer versions?" since 2008 is the last version I recall seeing mentioned.

Okay.  Was hoping I could get a definitive answer here since you all know everything about Windows :)   Maybe someone else on the list will know for sure.  Its lack will create a problem for me that I will need to work around and was hoping to avoid that problem.   Odd that it wouldn't have a browser at all or that there seems to be no definitive answer anywhere that I and some others can find.  Thought maybe Microsoft would know what they included but still don't know after talking to them.

Thanks.

Jim

td

Like previous versions of MSFT's server OS, there are many different versions of Windows 2016.   And like previous version of MSFT's server OS, you can install many different rolls and feature.  Asking about Window Server 2016 is really asking about many different flavors of Windows and few have been exposed to them all.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Got around to checking a clean install of Windows 2016 with GUI (Essentials or whatever marketing term MSFT is using this week) and it certainly has both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Internet Explorer in the Program Files and Program Files (x86) directories.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Appreciate you taking the time to check but must have been one of the other roles that prompted the install as the Window Server Essentials Role didn't work unless I overlooked a "Feature" that contained it.   Finally did come across a MS document that mentioned IE was not part of the Core Install but, of course, they failed to mention how to install it.  Did come across this article though and their suggestion worked.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/1158545/Re-install-Internet-Explorer-in-Windows-Server-R

Thanks again.

Jim

td

Window 2016 "Essentials" and "Core" are separate installations.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Okay.  Saw an Essentials Role and tried that. 

Jim

td

MSFT has a penchant for overloading their marketing terminology.
  - Dr. Tom Cade