Compiler - Encrypted with Password

Started by JTaylor, April 07, 2019, 08:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTaylor

Is there any way to pass the password as a parameter rather than a prompt?   Have a use case but a prompt will not work.  Thanks.

Jim

td

None that I am aware of.  As the Compiler help file comments about encrypting a wbt file with a password, "Since encryption is easily added to WinBatch utilities, this option is rarely used. In fact, no one has ever been known to use it.  Like the human appendix, it reminds one of evolutionary events while avoiding the performance of any useful function."
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Yes.  Read that in the Help.   Do have a great use for it but need to be able to decrypt without a user prompt.   I am trying to validate all the hard work someone put into this feature  :)

Jim

td

The guy that added the feature wrote the help file comment...
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Perhaps it wasn't evolution but design and it has just been waiting for its moment, which has arrived.   

In either event, if it isn't a complicated thing, having a parameter option for the password would be useful.  Thanks.

Jim

td

If you actually believe stuff like that, a "new feature/enhancement" is not going to solve anything.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Oooooooo....sounds like the beginning of an interesting discussion...Seems like if one believes that life has meaning and purpose and that we should strive to make it better where we can or if we believe that life is one big meaningless accident and the only thing that matters is dominating everyone else as a way to survive then making WinBatch better fits both ideas  ;)

Jim

td

- Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

So, ignoring the "if one doesn't buy into an illogical belief system they are hopelessly incompetent" part of the discussion....does this mean I need to tell my client there is no intention to add this enhancement?  Wasn't sure to what the "previously mentioned" referenced as, I probably missed it but, I didn't get a clear idea if the request would be considered, as it would provide an elegant solution to what this other person wants to do.   My leaning would be to interpret it as there being no plan to consider it at all but want to report things back accurately.

Thanks.

Jim

td

Many moons ago a VP at a successful tech company once told me that he felt his professional life was nothing more than continuous pattern matching.   A human version of AWK, if you will.  I didn't completely follow his meaning at the time but later came to understand his point.  However, sometimes it takes longer than it should for me to recognize the pattern and it can be a bit of shock when the dim bulb finally casts a little light.

Should also add that I had no intention of implying anyone was incompetent nor denigrate any one's beliefs but I can certainly see how it could be taken that way and I apologize if I offended you. 

We always consider user suggestions but we don't always implement them.  A command line password for compiler password encrypted scripts is not something that is likely to be implemented in the next few releases.  After that, it is anyone's guess.   

At this point, I would normally try to come up with a roll-your-own alternative but I suspect that it is not something that you are going to consider.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

I wasn't offended.   You will really have to step up your game if you are going to accomplish that feat.   I LOVE these kind of discussions :)

I rarely make a request but what I know a way to solve the problem without it being implemented.  Normally I have already solved it before I make the request.   The reason I make requests is in an attempt to make WinBatch better for everyone.  I tend to think that the more WinBatch does and the easier it makes tasks then that is good for you and us both.  I know many ways to accomplish what the client wants and had already worked out a few before I was reminded of this option.  Of all the options available though to accomplish the task at hand this is the simplest and most elegant, if one didn't have to deal with the prompt.

Also, I always assume I will need to roll my own solution to everything I request since there is normally a wait even if you say you will do it and I am always open to suggestions.   Sorry if I leave a different impression at times.   In any event, I am good and finally have an answer to what I wanted to know.  Hope you are good too. 

Thanks again for all you do.

Jim

td

The encrypted password option was implemented around 20 years ago. Encryption algorithms and hacker tools have become much more sophisticated since that time. It may be the case that we need to undocument the feature to prevent any users from using it with expectations that exceed what it offers.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Understood.  There are many (most all actually) situations for which I wouldn't use this without knowing a lot more.  It just happened to be perfect in this situation apart from the prompt.

Jim