Icons in compiled Winbatch Programs

Started by billmeek, November 12, 2015, 01:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billmeek

Why is Winbatch limited to an icon format for compiled programs where all of the OSes that had the format limit were all EOL years ago?  Winbatch has updated functions that required additional parameters so that code had to change.  Why not update the icon format too?  If backward compatibility is required, then have the compiler read the icon file to see if it's the old format.

Most of the code I'm writing is automation with little (if any) visual interface to the customer.  The one thing the customers do see is the icon for the application.  I really don't want it to look like a Windows 3 program. 

If I sub out the work of creating new icons for specific applications, it's going to cost me a lot more given the current icon restrictions.  I can't even use most of the freeware icon libraries as they don't contain the formats Winbatch compiler requires.

Please consider updating the Winbatch compiler to accept current Windows icon standards.
-
Bill

td

Your compiled program will not look like Windows 3 just because you use the older icon file format.  The older file format icons looks just fine, if you use icons drawn for today's higher resolution displays.   Icons usually look bad when they are not drawn for newer displays and not because of the icon file format.    And if you chose, you can use 'freeware' icon libraries.  The necessary modifications are relatively simple with any freeware icon editor.  You shouldn't need to 'sub out' the work.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

....IFICantBYTE

Bill, try the attached icon with one of your compiled exes (it has 48, 32 and 16 pixel icons at 4 and 8 bpp) and see what it looks like on your system.
It looks ok on my Win 7 PC.

Regards,
....IFICantBYTE

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong. :)

td

If you want to see what a properly drawn icon looks like from an 'old' file format, just look at PopMenu or WinBatch, in Explorer, on the task bar, or the start menu on a system with a relatively new version of WinBatch. 
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade