wbt file for XP, will it just run on Windows 7?

Started by jone1joh, August 17, 2017, 02:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jone1joh

wbt file for XP, will it just run on Windows 7?  This file has been running well on XP for many years but now (SMBv1 scare) I've got to get off XP.  Will it just work or do I have to develop the program all over again?  Thanks.

JTaylor

Obviously don't know what the script does but if it is purely WinBatch code then there is about a 99.9% chance or higher that it will run fine.   Possible something might have been deprecated if you haven't touched it for over 20 years.

Jim

td

Quote from: jone1joh on August 17, 2017, 02:42:57 PM
wbt file for XP, will it just run on Windows 7?  This file has been running well on XP for many years but now (SMBv1 scare) I've got to get off XP.  Will it just work or do I have to develop the program all over again?  Thanks.

The most important factor is what the script actually does.  Somewhere around a third of WIL function may  require elevation to work from an Admin account on Windows 7.  Which calls to mind a couple of other factors.  The first is the age of the version of WinBatch that will be running the script or compiled the script.  If either WinBatch or the compiler is older than version 2007A, it will not have a manifest and that can restrict what the OS will let it do depending on the UAC settings and type of account running the script. Account and UAC settings being the second and third factors that may affect your script.

With so many variables no one can tell you whether or not your script will work.  You will have to try it to find out.  Because of backward compatibility it is unlikely that you will have to completely rewrite it but you may have to make changes or purchase a newer version of WinBatch.  You wont know until you try.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

jone1joh

The version is 2009b.  The program automates the production of a graphic from ArcGIS Desktop ArcMAP V9.1 .  I'm hoping to be able to install ArcMAP 9.1 on Windows 7 and get this to work without having to redevelop the winbatch using a newer version of ArcMAP.  I've kept up a current license all this time but when I heard about the retirement I let it lapse this June. (id:    889095)  Could I still renew maintenance?

td

You are likely OK with 2009A.  With regard to maintenance plans, here is a quote from the News page of our site, "We do not offer maintenance plans. All purchases come with one year of free updates. However, product costs are significantly less than the cost of the discontinued one year WinBatch+Compiler maintenance plan renewal."
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade