add wwnet34i.dll extender

Started by mtruong1, April 11, 2018, 08:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtruong1

When I ran my program, it posted an error "1437: AddExtender:AddExtender DLL load failed" and the dll is WWNET34I.dll.
I am assuming that I will need the wwnet34i.dll file for the x64.

here is what I did so far,

1. downloaded the wwnet34i.zip file and ran the setup.wbt
2. ran the Winbatch Compiler (64-bit), click on the extenders button
3. did not see the wwnet34i.dll available to add in

Not sure what is the right way to get the wwnet34i.dll for x64

td

To follow Microsoft's lead 64-bit dlls do not have the same name as their 32-bit versions.  The name of the 64-bit version of the Network Extender is wwnt64i.dll. 

Also, note the 32-bit Network extender is not named wwnet34i.dll.  It is named wwwnt34i.dll.   And that the extender is included with your WinBatch+Compiler installation so you generally don't need to download it.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

iirc, the "wwnet*.dll" extender vs. "wwwnt*.dll" extender goes way back to when Win95/98/ME were still being supported.  the idea was that you'd load "wwnet*.dll" and then it would figure out which platform you were on and make the appropriate underlying Win32 API function calls while presenting more generic extender function names so that a script could be written to work on both Win95 and WinNT systems w/o having to do its own platform testing, conditional extender loading and conditional function calling with the correct names.

at some point, the Win9x/ME support dwindled off and the NT platform support continued to be developed further, with the end result that this "shim" extender went defunct.

td

You are correct.  I don't remember exactly when the 32-bit extender dropped support for Win32 on 16-bit Windows but it was more than 10 years ago.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade