Run PopMenuStartUp on Windows 10 without Highest Available Priviledges Prompt

Started by NDeLancie, May 14, 2018, 02:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDeLancie

I've been running WinBatch 2013B for some years on a 64 bit Windows 7 Enterprise machine, on which I have had administrator privileges, and, somehow or other (I can't remember), years ago, got regular, non-custom PopMenu to instantiate on startup without ever needing to see the WinBatch PopMenu-generated green Run PopMenu "UAC" prompt.

I'm now moving to a 64 bit Windows 10 Enterprise machine, on which I also have administrator privileges, and have just installed WinBatch.

I cannot, for the life of me, however, figure out how to get PopMenuStartUp.exe, located in the WinBatch\System directory, a shortcut to which is located in c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp, to run in the same manner (that is, it loads in the system tray but when clicked there for the first time each session, the WinBatch PopMenu-generated "UAC" prompt is thrown).

What do I need to do to avoid this annoyance and replicate the Windows 7 functionality I have?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

td

You have two choices.  You can either log on as a standard user or you can turn off Windows 10 UAC prompting.   The latter may or may not be an option depending on how much your "Enterprise" controls your environment using Group Policy and the like.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

NDeLancie

Thanks for the quick reply.

While a member of the administrators group on my machine, I log on as a regular user (that is, when, e.g., I run cmd.exe, it does not show I am running as an administrator).

And UAC prompting (Settings > User Account Control Setting) is set to never.

This is the same as on my Win7 machine.

So what am I missing here? Will Windows 10 simply not run a startup application for a user that has admin privileges without the UAC being invoked (or, really, WinBatch invoking its own UAC equivalent)?

NDeLancie

I test installed 2018A and the issue does not occur. I reinstalled 2013B and the issue recurred. Somewhere between them, something changed. Wish I could get 2018A and the old familiar owl icons. Oh well.

td

Quote from: NDeLancie on May 14, 2018, 03:31:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

While a member of the administrators group on my machine, I log on as a regular user (that is, when, e.g., I run cmd.exe, it does not show I am running as an administrator).

You are not logging on as a standard user.  You are logging on as and an administrator.  The reason cmd.exe does not show that you are running as an administrator with restricted administrator privileges.  Running as an  administrator with restricted admin privileges is NOT the same thing as logging on as a standard user.

And UAC prompting (Settings > User Account Control Setting) is set to never.

This is the same as on my Win7 machine.

It is not the same as Windows 7 in the sense that this setting effectively turned off UAC on Windows 7 but on Windows 10 the setting does not turn off UAC.  As the setting name implies, it just turns off the prompt.

So what am I missing here? Will Windows 10 simply not run a startup application for a user that has admin privileges without the UAC being invoked (or, really, WinBatch invoking its own UAC equivalent)?

See above. 
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Quote from: NDeLancie on May 14, 2018, 05:03:54 PM
I test installed 2018A and the issue does not occur. I reinstalled 2013B and the issue recurred. Somewhere between them, something changed.

From the changelog available as part of the WinBatch installation and on the WinBatch Website:

WB 2015A Jan 21, 2015

Modified PopMenuStarup program to start PopMenu without user consent when UAC prompting is disabled
       on Windows 8/2012 and newer systems. This change only affects administrator accounts.

Wish I could get 2018A and the old familiar owl icons. Oh well.

Life goes on and things change.
  - Dr. Tom Cade