Upgrading to Current Winbatch versions

Started by keggymans, March 10, 2015, 04:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keggymans

I have today finally received my license details on the existing version of winbatch+compiler and am weary on what's the best approach for updating as I have many existing scripts (500+) written in 2001k which was the last time my company actually spent out some cash on this product.

Is it possible to run 2 versions side by side as I am concerned about whether the old scripts will have compatibility issues with the 14 years jump to the present day

I also have windows 7 64bit but most of my systems that run the winbatch programs are currently windows 7 32 bit, does the installer install 64 bit as default on my system and all I have to do is reference the correct extenders within my code to choose between 32 and 64 bit ?

Any help would be appreciated as I am a little unsure as to how compatible all my scripts will be within the newer version

Thanks
James

td

Quote from: keggymans on March 10, 2015, 04:21:52 AM
I have today finally received my license details on the existing version of winbatch+compiler and am weary on what's the best approach for updating as I have many existing scripts (500+) written in 2001k which was the last time my company actually spent out some cash on this product.

Better late than never.

Is it possible to run 2 versions side by side as I am concerned about whether the old scripts will have compatibility issues with the 14 years jump to the present day

We do not recommend installing two version of WinBatch on the same system. 

You may or may not have compatibility issues when moving to a new version of WinBatch.  It all depends on what the script does.  We make every effort to maintain backward compatibility but some things have to change because of OS changes and user feature requests.  You will find a complete list of breaking changes in the Read Me Now.txt file that is part of your installation.  You can view the complete list of WinBatch changes in the Fixes and Improvements.txt file that is also a part of your installation.

I also have windows 7 64bit but most of my systems that run the winbatch programs are currently windows 7 32 bit, does the installer install 64 bit as default on my system and all I have to do is reference the correct extenders within my code to choose between 32 and 64 bit ?

The WinBatch setup program installs 64-bit WinBatch by default but there is no reason to be overly concerned about the 64-bit version.  32-bit WinBatch works just fine on 64-bit Windows 7.  Most problems involving 32-bit WinBatch on 64-bit Windows are connected to either file or registry redirection. You can find explanations of both in the Tech Database but you may never encounter either issue.

Any help would be appreciated as I am a little unsure as to how compatible all my scripts will be within the newer version

The Tech Database is your friend and you can always post specific questions on this forum.

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

keggymans

ill have a look at those files and try and be as prepared as can be

Thanks
James