WBDEG44I.DLL appears when executing compiled exe

Started by fhammer, March 20, 2016, 12:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhammer

Whenever I execute my compiled exe, a copy of WBDEG44I.DLL mysteriously appears in the current directory (which is often the desktop).

I don't have any explicit DLL calls in the source, and I can't find WBDEG44I.DLL in the online list of Extenders.

If I delete WBDEG44I.DLL, and run the exe again, it appears again. In any event, the exe works OK, except for WBDEG44I.DLL being left over. I suppose I could just delete it at the end of my script.

What is WBDEG44I.DLL and why does it appear?

Thanks.

....IFICantBYTE

That is the script processor DLL (the actual core WinBatch interpreter of the script you wrote) and it looks like a pretty old version too! - 2005G?
If you compile as a BIG exe (self contained) it will include the interpreter DLL and it will be extracted, if missing, from the EXE every time the exe is launched.
It is usually extracted to the same directory as the exe, but I believe it will try other places in the path of the machine if it can't write to the exe's location.

If you compile as a small exe then it won't include this DLL, but the script must still be able to find the DLL somewhere in the path in order for the exe to run - you will get an error complaining about it if it can't be found.

I personally wish the script processor DLL was just written to memory and used instead of out to disk first, but that is the way the product has been designed... perhaps the developers could change it one day?
Regards,
....IFICantBYTE

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong. :)