Win10 Default User startup folder

Started by seckner, August 09, 2016, 04:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seckner

In Windows 7 I could put an exe in the default users startup folder - this is missing from Windows 10. Dropping an exe in the default users startup folder let us do some configuration and set some reg settings that are pretty unique to our environment really easily. New user starts, ask for the department, set everything up and off we went. It was really simple. Does anyone know where this might be located now - I can find the individual user and all users, but the default user guaranteed it was run once per new user. Any ideas, work around, advice? 

td

I may be misunderstanding but do you mean the 'All Users' or 'Common' Startup folder?  If so, it's usually in the same place for either OS, 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp'.

You can retrieve the Common Startup directory path using the ShortCutDir function:
Code (winbatch) Select
ComStartDir = ShortCutDir("Common Startup",1,1)
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

seckner

I don't know if this is "supposed" to work on not but if you will fire up your Windows 7 machine and go to

"C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup",

you can drop a shortcut there just like any other startup folder and you can be assured that, for every new user on that computer, that shortcut's exe will run. It ran just once, and would allow us to ask a series of questions and then configure the new users profile for the department and place in the building they are at. It made setting up a new user on that computer SO easy - guaranteed to run just one time, the first time they log in, and not run again until another new user logs in.

In Windows 10 you can get to ...C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs,  but the Startup folder is missing. So, I'm looking for a way to run a script the first time a each new user logs into that computer. I hope I'm making sense?

Russell_Williams

In Windows 10 / 2012, mine shows in this folder, here I have a link to run a program RunBanc for every user once upon login:

Directory of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

02/19/2016  03:03 PM    <DIR>          .
02/19/2016  03:03 PM    <DIR>          ..
02/19/2016  02:45 PM             1,752 RunBanc.lnk

td

Quote from: seckner on August 10, 2016, 04:17:23 AM
I don't know if this is "supposed" to work on not but if you will fire up your Windows 7 machine and go to

"C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup",

you can drop a shortcut there just like any other startup folder and you can be assured that, for every new user on that computer, that shortcut's exe will run. It ran just once, and would allow us to ask a series of questions and then configure the new users profile for the department and place in the building they are at. It made setting up a new user on that computer SO easy - guaranteed to run just one time, the first time they log in, and not run again until another new user logs in.

In Windows 10 you can get to ...C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs,  but the Startup folder is missing. So, I'm looking for a way to run a script the first time a each new user logs into that computer. I hope I'm making sense?

Is this even a WinBatch relate question?  Anyway, you can create the Startup folder under C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs on Windows 10.  The shortcut will be copied to new users' profiles and executed but of course, you do need to have some logic in the script to prevent it from running more than once per user.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

seckner

Russell, Thank You!

Tony - in reality, no it's not a Winbatch question, please forgive me. I all the years that I've been a part of the Winbatch 'family' I have, however, come to be consistently amazed and appreciative of the wealth of community knowledge that has always been here. The biggest reason I've been loyal to WB for going on 17 years now is the willingness of the community to help each other, even if it's only loosely related to WB. Thank you for your answer, I appreciate it.