Silent installation without forced reboot?

Started by jsichak, January 07, 2014, 01:44:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsichak

We're running into a little snag here when trying to use the "/silent" switch to install the Winbatch 2013C & Compiler.  After the  installation is complete, the setup.exe seems to want to force us to reboot the system.  I've tried commenting out both of the restart options in the setup.inf file, but that trick doesn't seem to work anymore.  Any suggestions?

Deana

Is there a previous installation of WinBatch installed? Of so, the reboot is only triggered if it is unable to replace an existing file( maybe its currently in use). The setup will attempt to MOVE/COPY the file after a reboot.

Have you considered running the setup.exe /silent during windows startup?
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

jsichak

Thanks for the response Deana.  We've written a Winbatch script that goes through and removes the previous version of Winbatch, and removes files/folders as well.  For those files that cannot be removed, we rename them and add them to the pending removal registry key.  I'll test the installation without a previous version on there (probably should have done that first), and will let you now the result.

Thanks again.

jsichak

Well, now it's not rebooting the system.  The only thing that I can think of is that the snapshot that I reverted back to to test the installation, had some pending reboot already set?  I guess maybe next time I should wait a day, and see how things go before posting.  On the bright side, I found a bug that I hadn't previously caught, so I guess that's something. 

Thanks for your quick reply though.

Deana

Glad to hear that it is working as expected during a clean install.

Can you confirm that you are also able to delete the necessary files and registry entries, for a system with a previous install and run the setup /silent with out a reboot?
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

jsichak

Correct.  I can confirm that, with an upgrade to from 2010C to 2013C, I was able to successfully remove the necessary registry entries and files associated with the 2010C installation.  We do have some instances of 2012B in the environment, but I'm guessing the results will be similar.

I did notice that there is a beta 2013D available, we may wait to update our Winbatch instances to the new release, once it's available.  I'm assuming that 2013D will basically become 2014A?

Thanks again.

Deana

Quote from: jsichak on January 09, 2014, 10:54:08 AM
Correct.  I can confirm that, with an upgrade to from 2010C to 2013C, I was able to successfully remove the necessary registry entries and files associated with the 2010C installation.  We do have some instances of 2012B in the environment, but I'm guessing the results will be similar.

I did notice that there is a beta 2013D available, we may wait to update our Winbatch instances to the new release, once it's available.  I'm assuming that 2013D will basically become 2014A?

Thanks again.

Thank you for confirming. Yes the 2013D Beta will be released as version 2014A. Keep in mind that if you were to update today you would receive a 12-month maintenance plan that would allow you to download any version released in the next 12 months.
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

jsichak

Thanks for the info.  We re-up our maintenance every year, so no worries.  We have a few systems that we are going to be rolling out sometime around the end of the month, and would prefer to not have to recompile them a second time, and go through all the testing involved.  We'll just sit back and patiently wait for the new release. :)