Icon error when compiling

Started by rothestar, February 27, 2014, 12:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rothestar

Hi Support

when i compile a script, i get this error(see attachment) but the icon i provided should have the a the right settings. any idea?

Best regards
Henrik

rothestar

Deana

Henrik,

Actually the icon must have the following format:

Dimension / Color Depth
16x16 / 4 bit (16 color)
16x16 / 8 bit (256 color)
32x32 / 4 bit (16 color)
32x32 / 8 bit (256 color)
48x48 / 4 bit (16 color)
48x48 / 8 bit (256 color)

IMPORTANT: 32 bit (True color) color depth is not currently supported in the compiled EXEs.

Notice: Icons MUST have ALL 6 (more are allowed) of the above definitions built into it. If you do not have all 6, some of the icons will not get replaced, and the wrong icon may be sometimes displayed.

http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/tsleft.web+WinBatch/Compiler+Icons.txt

See the WinBatch\Icons subdirectory for some sample icons.

Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

richardh

Hi Deana,

Any word on WinBatch updating their supported icon formats? I mentioned the perception problem this creates about a year ago.
Just imagine how much better your own icon will look if you update the formats... lol

Thanks,
Richard

Deana

Quote from: richardh on May 27, 2014, 11:41:09 PM
Hi Deana,

Any word on WinBatch updating their supported icon formats? I mentioned the perception problem this creates about a year ago.
Just imagine how much better your own icon will look if you update the formats... lol

Thanks,
Richard

Richard,

As far as I am aware there is nothing in the immediate pipeline to change the icon formats supported by the compiler. Starting in WB 2012C we refreshed the icons for many of WinBatch's installation executables. I will be sure to notify the developers of your request to include the newer 64x64 and 256x256 pixel formats supported on Vista and newer.
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

richardh

Thanks... I'm sure all compiler owners would appreciate the update.

td

Not to sure that existing licensees would appreciate it.  It would require that they replace all there existing icons in order to compile a script. Not exactly a cheap and easy task for some.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

richardh

I highly recommend IcoFX to anyone that believes that creating additional icon formats would present a problem.
Unless it's changed they also have a 30 free trial for their product.

Any professional logo or image used for icons is created with at least 300x300dpi which is fine for a icon.

With respect to supporting the new formats... it can be done with 2 clicks and takes less than a minute.

You can simply load an existing icon file from any .ico file and add [ just check the boxes] for new formats.
You can also extract the .icon file from an existing .executable.

I would suggest creating your icon file using your high resolution logo, image, etc.. which can be done in 2 clicks!

Menu Image - simply click which OS you want Icons for.

Pic1 - Then check the supported formats that you want embedded in the Icon.
Pic2 - I always embed all formats into the icon and let the compiler [I use different languages] extract the ones it supports.

I also create shortcuts and use the Icon file, different OS's support different formats.

I believe that the benefit of higher resolution icon formats would outweigh the inconvenience of creating new Icon files for newly compiled apps.

However, there may be a real world situation that I'm missing...

Richard

td

We are familiar with the tools but based on experience, a lot of custom old format icons look like crap.  Because of higher DPIs, they simple do not scale well to higher pixel densities not matter what algorithm is applied.

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

richardh

Absolutely... you do NOT want to try to upscale a low rez image.

If the icon file already contained higher resolution formats you'd be ok... hence, an example of why I embed them all.

I guess if a user no longer had a high resolution image that they created the low resolution icon file... that would present a problem, I hadn't considered that.

td

I suspect that most older icon files where hand drawn specifically as icons and no high resolution images ever existed. 
  - Dr. Tom Cade

kdmoyers

The mind is everything; What you think, you become.