Running HTML in box

Started by erezpaz, May 18, 2018, 07:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erezpaz

Hi

I got a script where i run few tasks that take time. I use BoxesUp to show what i am doing so user will be aware. I want to make it more graphical. Using the progress bar examples are relevant only when i run external exe or using  aStatusbar is very simple progress bar. I wonder if i can use HTML inside a box same way i use it in dialog but the deferent is that i can "do" somthing while the box is up and update it.

Thanks

td

You can "do" something while a dialog or aStatusBar are being displayed.   You do something either by breaking up the task into manageable chunks or running two processes and using interprocess communication of some kind.  The same is true of the Box functions.  Over 20 years ago WinBatch had a BoxHtml function but I don't recall if it was ever part of a release and it was removed before the turn of the century.

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

erezpaz

Hi

I am using today aStatusBar and also with BoxesUp with my program and it work fine. I update the aStatusBar or BoxesUp with progress and stat of the program progress and it display to the user the info. What i am looking for is to make it more graphical and with more information. HTML is the best way to incorporate animated gif for example. Also with dialog progress bar as for the example you sent also can get much more capabilities. The issue is that the examples show how to run progress bar with dialog that run external exe and wait for it to finish with time gap. My question is, can i use dialog for example that i can use to present the progress while running the process and update it dynamically without using another process that for example update a file that the dialog should read?

Thanks

JTaylor

Hopefully I am understanding the question....If you have control of the process that is running, sure.  Just call the progress update code from within the process you are running.    If you call a process over which you do not have control while it is running then, as noted, you have to have a second process.   You will want a dynamic Dialog and just launch the process from the Dialog and you then can update the Dialog at any point from within the running process.

Jim

stanl

Quote from: JTaylor on May 19, 2018, 09:42:16 AM
Hopefully I am understanding the question....Jim

And hopefully I agree with Jim.  It seems you already possess the ability to use a status indicator but perhaps only need to make it prettier.....  You alluded to HTML and HTML5 has a <progress> ...  </progress> with multiple threads and code as how to use it.  I mean how many ways do you need to tell a user what is going on - it either works or it doesn't.