Author Topic: Mouse Click Issue  (Read 98 times)

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
Mouse Click Issue
« on: July 11, 2018, 01:35:11 pm »
I have a weird problem. 

I have an open Dialog which opens a Sub-Dialog using the Dialog(SubDialog) function.   Functionally it works fine.   When it opens I can tab down through the controls, press enter and activate the default button, etc.   What I cannot do though is click on any thing.  If I press Alt+Tab changing windows and then Alt+Tab back or manually change focus in some fashion back to this SubDialog then I can click as expected. 

Just had a thought and tried calling the Sub-Dialog from a PushButton and it works as it should.   Currently I am calling it by right-clicking on a control in the Timer Event.   I have tried disabling the Timer if it meets the necessary criteria as well as disabling the main dialog but that doesn't seem to make a difference.   Here is the code in the Timer Event.

Code: Winbatch
    wga = WinGetActive()
    cf  = DialogControlState(MME_Handle, "rv_MMe_report", @dcsGetFocus, 0)
    mi  = MouseInfo(4)
    If wga == "Menu Example" && mi == 1 && cf == "rv_MMe_report" Then
  ;   DialogProcOptions(MMe_Handle, @deTimer,0)                             ; TimerEvent (0- Off).
  ;    DialogProcOptions(MMe_Handle, @dpoDisable,2)                         ; Dialog Disable (1-Disable, 2-Wait cursor, 0-Enable).
       Dialog("SMenu")
  ;    DialogProcOptions(MMe_Handle, @dpoDisable,0)                         ; Dialog Disable (1-Disable, 2-Wait cursor, 0-Enable).
  ;   DialogProcOptions(MMe_Handle, @deTimer,100)                           ; TimerEvent (0- Off).
     EndIf

Suggestions?    Thanks.

Jim

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
Re: Mouse Click Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 06:13:57 pm »
A bit more info.  It seems that something with the "If" statement causes the problem.   If I comment out the "If" statement it works.   If I change the code and set a flag and call Dialog outside the Timer Event after shutting off the Timer the same problem happens, if I call the Dialog within an "If" statement.

Jim

kdmoyers

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 05:29:40 am »
quickie snap-look makes me wonder what would happen if you left the THEN off the IF statement.  I don't think it's required.  You probably already considered this.
-Kirby
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 06:54:50 am »
Thanks but no difference.   I tried a While statement as well.   Same behavior.

Jim

td

• Tech Support
    • WinBatch
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 07:37:27 am »
The description of the problem matches some but not all of the symptoms of a mouse capture issue but WinBatch doesn't ever attempt to capture the mouse. So it doesn't make a lot of sense as an explanation.

Also, note that the Dialog function will automatically disable a WIL dialog when the Dialog function is called from the WIL dialog's UDC.
"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose."
  - Bill Gates

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 12:15:01 pm »
Good to know on the last point.   I have been trying everything I can think of but still at a loss.   The behavior is consistent.  Here is a stripped down version.  Just right-click on the ReportView Control.

Thanks.

Jim

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 03:57:39 pm »
Still banging away at this and have concluded that the issue is the clicking on the ReportView to call a sub-dialog.  Even setting the focus prior to calling the Sub-Dialog doesn't help.   I have worked around the issue, I think, by creating an invisible button and using MouseClickBtn() prior to opening the Sub-Dialog.  This seems to solve the problem.

Is this something that can be and should be fixed or is it expected?

Jim

td

• Tech Support
    • WinBatch
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 06:40:24 am »
Basically, your timer is preventing the dialog from processing the mouse right click messages (note the plural) and the OS does something similar to a mouse capture until the messages get processed.  It is not something that should be "fixed".     
"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose."
  - Bill Gates

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 07:46:48 am »
Okay.   Wasn't sure since it happens even if I turn off the timer before calling the subdialog.  In any event, need to move ahead and if it was something that needed to be fixed I assume it would be a while before that occurred anyway.   As mentioned, the MouseClickBtn() seems to have fixed things as this is only an issue with the ReportView and not other controls, as far as I can tell.  Perhaps if I did more testing I would change my mind on that issue though.

Thanks.

Jim

td

• Tech Support
    • WinBatch
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 01:06:53 pm »
The reason you see the behavior with the ReportView control is because of the way MSFT implemented the control with respect to mouse input.
  - Bill Gates

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 01:59:08 pm »
Okay.  Good to know.  Sounds like it is more than simply a Mouse and Timer issue but rather something primarily in the context of ReportView.  In any event, thanks again.  I have a way to move ahead.

Jim

td

• Tech Support
    • WinBatch
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 08:20:51 am »
Other Common Controls use the same strategy for mouse input.  It is, however, the OS handling of mouse input that is ultimately responsible. 
  - Bill Gates

kdmoyers

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2018, 11:35:14 am »
This is really interesting to me, and something I'm likely to hit someday because I do both reportviews, and sub-dialogs.  I just have not yet combined them.  Thanks for sharing!

td

• Tech Support
    • WinBatch
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2018, 10:48:28 pm »
Unless you are using a rapidly firing timer event to launch a WIL dialog inside a user-defined-callback of another dialog and a user clicks a reportview control of the dialog with the event, it will have no impact.
  - Bill Gates

kdmoyers

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 10:25:03 am »
Hmmm... yes I see, I think.  As it happens, rapidly (.1 sec) firing dialogs are my specialty, so I'll keep this in the back of my mind, in case I see trouble.
As I've often opined, this forum and it's participants is one of the best things about winbatch.

td

• Tech Support
    • WinBatch
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 08:24:42 am »
A simple workaround might be to add an invisible context menu to the REPORTVIEW control and add DialogProcOptions @deMiInit to the @deInit section of the main dialog's UDF/S.  This should allow the control to finish processing the context mouse button messages before the dialog processed the timer event.
  - Bill Gates

JTaylor

• Pundit
    • Data & Stuff Inc.
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 09:04:51 am »
I think I mentioned this above somewhere but did a similar thing but used an invisible PUSHBUTTON and MouseClickBtn() which solved the problem as well.

Jim