Baseball League Scheduler

Started by oradba4u, October 17, 2015, 06:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oradba4u

Hello:
Does anybody have a baseball scheduler (or algorithm) written in winbatch that I can use for scheduling round-robin games?
OR...
Does anybody know where I can look at a scheduling program that can schedule league games with series (3,4,or 5 game series), random double headers, etc?

Everything I have seen on the internet lacks a lot of detail for generation of such sophisticated schedules.

thanks in advance

td

Probably not the response you are looking for but since you seem to have a clear gasp of the requirements, why not wright your own?
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

oradba4u

(All good answers start with) "Well", I was curious if someone out there in Winbatch-land had something similar to what I am looking for. No need to re-invent the wheel.

In addition, I'm not a strong mathematician... I'd probably get lost in the "round-robin" algorithm.

I've seen some java and c# examples on the internet, but I'm not a Java or C programmer,so I can't transpose them to winbatch

Anyway, guess I'll keep looking... BTW... those "canned' scheduling programs are expensive, and they don't meet a lot of my requirements.

Thanks for the feedback,
perplexed in Pittsburgh

oradba4u

P.S. - Also, I could probably "brute force" it manually, quicker than writing a program... I only need it for one use.
That's why I was looking to see if someone else had invented this "wheel"

Tks

td

It's usually a good idea to search prior art when trying to solve a problem but  I guess it also depends on  a point of view.  Given no suitable solution seems imminent,  you could also look at it as an opportunity to advance some skills,  get the satisfaction form a sense of accomplishment, add tools to your scripting tool chest  and  maybe even make some money on the side too...
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

scotts

Not trying to be snarky at all. as a programmer I have been tempted to automate tasks that just don't need it. This is one of those tasks. A couple of years ago I started to think through the code and my wife bought a 'canned' round robin poster sized tourney outline. We then put all the team names in a hat and had the neighbor boy pull the names 'randomly'... worked like a charm..

stanl

As I understand it [or not] is the OP looking for a scheduler or a Round Robin algorithm?

td

Quote from: scotts on October 20, 2015, 02:43:58 PM
Not trying to be snarky at all. as a programmer I have been tempted to automate tasks that just don't need it. This is one of those tasks. A couple of years ago I started to think through the code and my wife bought a 'canned' round robin poster sized tourney outline. We then put all the team names in a hat and had the neighbor boy pull the names 'randomly'... worked like a charm..

Since the OP indicates he has done do diligence, guess is that 'canned' solutions like the one mentioned do not fulfill the OP's requirements.  But that is just a guess.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Should have also added that a simple script to pseudo randomly order a set of names could be done in maybe ten lines or less.  I guess whether or not that is faster then fetching the neighbor's kid depends on how fast you type and how far away the neighbor is.
  - Dr. Tom Cade