64bit Compiler will not start

Started by User_McUser, December 11, 2023, 11:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

User_McUser

The 64bit version of the WinBatch compiler will not run for me. When I click the button in WinBatch Studio absolutely nothing happens apart from Windows briefly showing the "busy" mouse cursor. Running it manually from the Program Files\WinBatch\System\ folder does exactly the same thing. Watching the details list in Windows' Task Manager I see the process appear in the list but after a few seconds it goes away.

The Event Viewer has multiple items for wbcompiler.exe with a lot of info, but this is the first one that shows up:

Faulting application name: WBCompiler.exe, version: 2023.3.0.0, time stamp: 0x645ea5ee
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007fffb9bd0800
Faulting process id: 0x449c
Faulting application start time: 0x01da2c66ca7d7e16
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WinBatch\System\WBCompiler.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 2b7bd973-7c15-426c-a643-3b654e2652bd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I had this problem before, but with Winbatch 2019A. I just figured it was because that's such an old version, but we recently purchased a new license and it is still doing it with 2023C. (I did upgrade without removing the old version first - would a "clean install" of WinBatch make any difference?)

FWIW, the 32bit compiler works a treat - it opens right away either from the toolbar button in the Studio app or manually from the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

Please advise, thank you! :)

td

Don't know what to tell you. You are the only user to ever report this problem with the 64-bit compiler. The exception indicates some form of access violation. It could be a file system/folder permission issue, a faulty device driver, or a corrupt 64-bit OS system file just to name a few possibilities. 
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

You could give a reinstallation a try. But make sure to perform an uninstall before running the install.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

You can also try the following. Find the WW-PROD.INI file by opening the folder <system-drive>:\users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Roaming\WinBatch\Settings then open and delete all the compiler-related settings from the file.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Another thing to consider is enabling a mini dump on your system, running the compiler, and sending the resulting dump file to WinBatch support.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps

For example*,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps]
"DumpFolder"="c:\miniDumps"
"DumpType"=(dword) 00000002
"CustomDumpFlags"=(dword) 00001124

* The above example is from a post by user avakar on https://stackoverflow.com
  - Dr. Tom Cade

User_McUser

Thanks for the suggestions! 🙂

I tried doing a full uninstall, reboot, then reinstall and reboot again and I also tried editing the INI file as suggested. But neither worked I'm afraid... 😕

FWIW, I can duplicate the problem on a second PC with a very similar configuration but on a third one, with a fresh and completely clean Windows 10 (21H2) installation, it works fine. So the source of the problem is almost certainly something with my specific configuration it seems...

Right now, my plan is to slowly add all the other programs and settings, one at a time until it fails. If that yields no fruit, I will see about generating the dump file and send that in.

td

Thanks for considering the suggestions and providing information about your progress. Anti-malware tool bugs are one of the most common causes of unexplained exceptions. The problems they cause can be difficult to track because uninstalling them may not be sufficient to completely rid them from the system.
  - Dr. Tom Cade