Feature Request: colorize UDFs and UDSs

Started by cssyphus, May 18, 2024, 09:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cssyphus

With the new feature of listing all UDFs/UDSs in dropdown on toolbar, you already have them all... Would it be possible to colorize those in the code?

That would be great for helping to catch spelling mistakes, and to make them stand out in code.

If accepted, please colorize as different from in-built funcs... and could that color be tweakable in WIL.clr?

---

Other wishes:

- Editor: when select a variable name (or any text), highlight that string throughout the file

- Editor: Duplicate Line via keyboard (without replacing clipboard contents - Ctrl+D, for example)

- Editor: Move line up/down via keyboard (e.g. Alt+Up, Alt+Dn or Ctrl+Up etc)

- Tabbed Interface: allow drag tabs to reorganize tab positions when multiple scripts open

td

You can already colorize UDPs using the right-click context menu. You can add many of the features you mention yourself by editing WSP-USER.MNU file located in the WinBatch System directory.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

cssyphus

Thanks Tony. I've already used the wsp-user.mnu to add those (and other even more useful) additions. Love that capability for creating intelligent editor macros. However, for editor features like move line up/down, it is dreadfully slow. For example, it is not workable to move a line up 5 lines - each (Ctrl+J, in my case) takes a full second to complete on my (not slow - P7 2.8Ghz 32Gig 2TbSSD) machine.

Re the colorization of UDF/UDS function names in the code - and I appreciate that my usage of the product might not be typical - but in this current script I have 43 UDFs and 18 UDSs. My most-used script has over 120 UDF/UDS combined. The right-click, colorize-one-UDF-at-a-time would not be feasible. (Besides, that R-Click was useful in the days before the toolbar UDF dropdown - it helped to quickly identify the UDF in a sea of UDFs - but it's not really required now)

I only wish for the name of the UDF within the code colorized, not the actual #DEFINEFUNCTION udfMyNameOfMyFunction(param1, param2) def.  BUT... it would be great to then double-click on the name of a UDF in the code and jump down to the function...

I know I am asking too much... but there's an ancient saying, "you have not because you ask not" - so I'm askin'. No offense intended at all, I love the product.

For casual WinBatch users it's no big deal, but for serious users... it is like Jim commented in a different thread about the Display(-1) taking a full second from the program flow. Coincidentally, I also made that request many, many years ago (during DF's time) - Display(x, "title", "message") would be much enhanced by allowing fractional increments, like TimeDelay(0.25) allows.

Please, all I am asking is that you add these to your "If I can someday" list...

kdmoyers

This sounds very cool but pretty difficult.  Perhaps the color tables could be updated only when the user clicks the function navigator dropdown, or on file load.

Even then, the underlying editor may not support changing horses in the middle of the stream.

The mind is everything; What you think, you become.