Updating old code to compile on a Win7 64bit laptop using Winbatch2013A

Started by TACK13, August 07, 2013, 04:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TACK13

I have some very old Winbatch code (I started to maintain it in 2003). It's worked very well on every Windows PC, until I went to compile it on my new Win7 laptop.
I used the following extenders, which probably need to be updated:
AddExtender("%gnDir%WWWSK34I.DLL") ;for network &file transfer functions
AddExtender("%gnDir%Wilx34I.DLL")  ;for checking to see if there is a thumb drive

The first had a call to ping a server, e.g.  nPing=wxPing(nLonghost) - wxPing doesn't seem to work anymore.

The second had a 'drive ready' call, e.g. zReady = xDriveReady("%gnDrive%:")
that we used to check if someone had put a floppy in the A: drive, or a thumb drive on E: or F:
Is there a replacement for that?

I thought I'd try to use the WWINT44I extender (iPing), but when I try to install it on my laptop, it seems to think that I don't have a valid version of Winbatch, and it won't install.

Which extenders should I be using? How can I convince the install scripts that I have a valid Winbatch license?

Deana

First you should confirm that you have WinBatch+Compiler 2013B installed.  Run WinBatch.exe this will launch WinBatch Navigator. Just under the owl icon it will list the WinBatch version.

Next confirm your software license: In the lower left hand corner of the WinBatch Navigator, click on [License Info] button. In the center of the license dialog you should see your current maintenance expiration date.

Background on Extender formats:
Starting back in WinBatch 2004B many of the extenders were ported from the 34i to the 44i format to allow more descriptive function names and additional parameters.  44i versions of the extenders require WinBatch 2004B or newer to run.  44i extenders will not work on WinBatch 2004A or older. Note: so as not to affect existing scripts using a previous version of extenders, the extender DLLs have been renamed to include a 44i in the DLL name instead of a 34i.  Old and new versions of extenders can co-exist side by side.

To use the new extender with old scripts and with WinBatch 2004B or newer you will need to change the AddExtender line in the script to reflect the new DLL name.   e.g.

Code (winbatch) Select

AddExtender("wwwsk34i.dll")

should become

Code (winbatch) Select

AddExtender("wwwsk44i.dll")

You should be able to continue to use both the WinSock function wxPing and WILX Extender function xDriveReady.

Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

TACK13