Searcher Extender

Started by mks, May 07, 2015, 06:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mks

AddExtender("wsrch34i.dll")

When using the SrchInit code will it error out if it does not have access to the folder or file? 

td

The phrase "Not having access" can mean multiple things i.g., does not exists or do not have read permission.  The search extender returns very few errors so I would guess it doesn't return errors for whatever you mean by the phrase but I would recommend trying whatever you mean by the phrase and finding out for yourself.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

mks

Basically if the person running the script does not have read permissions on a file or folder will it error out or just skip it and continue?

td

Why not just try it to verify how it works?
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Had a few moment so I tried the Search extender on a file that the user running the script was denied any access to.  The extender simply ignored the file without producing an error. It is not a definitive test but is a strong indicator of what to expect.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

This should have been included in the first reply to the original post in this topic but better late than never...  The search extender uses a 3rd party dll for the balk of its functionality.  That dll has been both efficient and reliable but Wilson WindowWare does not have access to nor control of the dll's source code.  For that reason, there is  a certain amount of reluctance to make untested and unverified assertions about any extender behavior that is not already documented.  Hence the recommendation to test extender behavior when possible and  when that behavior is not been addressed in the documentation.     
  - Dr. Tom Cade