insufficient elevation

Started by Len, April 03, 2020, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Len

Recently I had to migrate (kicking & screaming) from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I have two Active Directory accounts, one with Admin privileges and the other with standard. I used the Admin account to install WinBatch+compiler 2020A. Everything works fine from that account. While I can bring up the WinBatch Studio and Navigator from popmenu on the standard account, I cannot run RoboScript nor any of my scripts nor the popmenu.mnw editor. I can run scripts from WinBatch Studio and compiled scripts run from my desktop. And, I can edit popmenu.mnw with notepad.

The error basically that WinBatch.exe does not have sufficient elevation to run. I have attached a snapshot of the error message.

What did I do wrong and can this be fixed?

td

Generally, you get the Roboscripter error when starting it from WinBatch Navigator (default.wbt) or Popmenu when group policy settings require that uiAccess applications be launched from a "protected" directory. When the launch directory is not "protected" you, get the error. It can get more complicated because the rules that determine when the policy is and isn't applied are not necessarily clearly defined by Microsft.  There are few poorly documented rules about medium integrity level and spawning child processes that don't play by the same rules as high integrity processes being spawned from low integrity processes using ShellExecute.

At the very least you might want to see if  "Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/Security Settings/Local Policies/Security Options" setting "User Account Control: Only elevate UiAcces applications that are installed in a secure location" is enabled using gpedit.msc.  That might give you a clue as to the root cause of your problem.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade