Give the People What They Want

Started by stanl, September 12, 2015, 03:53:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanl

QuoteSeriously, I think WinBatch is a wonderful product and should be much more widely publicised, used and respected out there...
radical idea: ... maybe it's time for a big re-write

This is a tangent from IfIcant's  semi-rant in a previous thread.  I started out with Clipper in 1984, and at that time the mantra was "Listen to what they want and give them what they need" - later I helped John Stolte by creating the ODBC element of FiveWin (basically Clipper for Windows) - the mantra continued. When FiveWin died (and windows grew up) Winbatch immediately served the mantra, and I agree it is still the best scripting product ever made.

But lately, in my environment (and possibly others) - it's all about dashboards, and what they want trumps (politics aside). WB cannot come close to Visual Studio or even Access in this regard, and I now regard it as more a forensic tool - something that can investigate behind the scenes - or at least that is something I try to sell.

ITMT - a very robust menu application I wrote in WB is being re-written as a compiled Access dashboard/switchboard -  kind of a bummer re-writing very concise and optimized WB code into replete Access modules and macros.  But it is very pretty....

DAG_P6

Why Access instead of something lean and mean, like, say, C# or VB?
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.