Run as a Native Service… Automation using Windows Scheduler

Started by rickmds, August 16, 2014, 08:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmds

I manage a remote Server through RDP.  The server is running  several automation scripts that rely on Windows scheduler. The script EXEs work under my credentials on the server because I simple exit RDP and do not log off. I have now been asked to convert these to Native service to eliminate the security risk of having me continuously logged onto the server.   I believe I know how to set up these Winbatch ââ,¬Å"EXEââ,¬Âs as an ââ,¬Å"EXSââ,¬Â.  My question is can I continue to rely on Windows Scheduler to call the new ââ,¬Å"EXSââ,¬Â service or do I need to eliminate the scheduler and incorporate the timed running of the ââ,¬Å"EXSââ,¬Â with a new re-write of the WinBatch code?   Thanks!

Best
Rick

td

A couple of quick thoughts. I believe you could use Task Scheduler to start and stop an installed service. Another approach might be to write a small second tickle script that sends a user defined control code to the running but idle service. The service would then perform a designated task based on the control code.  The easiest approach maybe to have the service keep track of when it needs to perform its tasks by making it time interval or time of day aware. 
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade