So totally off topic:

Started by stanl, January 19, 2019, 05:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanl

Any frustrations one has with WB totally pale in comparison to installing Powershell on the Win10 linux subsystem.... Why I bring this up.... had two analysts I used to work with asked about how to do it and so tried it myself.

After 3 days of installing Ubuntu/Debian subsystems I kept getting the same errors that one can Google on line in GitHub or StackOverflow. You can install powershell but you end up with errors that dependency libraries are missing and/or cannot be installed. My laptop fortunately was has the fall 2018 Win10 update (build 1809) but my friends said they still had 1803.

After 3 days of frustration this worked on both builds.

#assumes Ubuntu installed in Win10 subsystem
#this tested in both 1803 and 1809 builds

# First Update the list of products
sudo apt-get update -y
#for some reason really important
sudo apt-get upgrade –y
sudo apt-get install -y libunwind8

#then
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-security main"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libicu55

# Download the Microsoft repository GPG keys
wget -q https://packages.microsoft.com/config/ubuntu/16.04/packages-microsoft-prod.deb
# Register the Microsoft repository GPG keys
sudo dpkg -i packages-microsoft-prod.deb
# Install PowerShell
sudo apt-get install -y powershell
sudo apt-get update
# Start PowerShell
pwsh

#if all else fails
sudo apt-get remove powershell

td

For my purposes, bash and Python are much more than just adequate for Debian Linux Distros and I imagine when MSFT dumps Windows 10 for a Linux distro that runs almost all Windows Desktop app binaries, it will come preinstalled.   
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Should add thanks for posting the information.  You never know when a bit of information will come in handy.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Quote from: td on January 19, 2019, 04:36:01 PM
Should add thanks for posting the information.  You never know when a bit of information will come in handy.

Not that I can comment with any real knowledge, but my friends said that PS in Linux along with Win10 support for SSH have a good future. My one friend (actually my Manager at TWC) just landed a job with Red Hat (their HQ about a mile from where I live) - soon to be IBM.

td

I didn't mean to imply that I have special knowledge concerning MFT's plans.  Just rumors,  public earnings information, and the curious litter of bread crumbs.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

kdmoyers

Quote from: td on January 19, 2019, 04:36:01 PM

I can imagine a day when, all of a sudden, my interest in this topic goes from 0 to 100.
Thanks for the post Stan, ya never know.
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.