************** Postie Extender Version 44052 **************

Started by td, June 05, 2019, 11:06:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

td

Version 44052, June 5, 2019

Added support for TLS 1.2 to the SMTP, POP and IMAP protocols and added support for
      advanced cipher suites. TLS 1.3 has not been tested but may also be supported.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

The extender has gotten a lot fatter because it is loaded with just about every cipher suite known.  However, only the suites that are in common usage are available to use.  If you encounter a cipher suite that Postie does not support,  we can add it to the available list with a simple code change which means a usually quick turnaround.

If you happen to encounter a server supporting TLS 1.3 and Postie connects using TLS 1.3 let us know.  As mentioned in the release notes, it has not been tested.     
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Finally getting around to testing things...Thought my server had TLS 1.3 and wanted to test this for you but was wrong.      Was curious though...does anything need to be changed for TLS 1.2?   I notice the Help file is dated Feb 2018 and it references how to use TLS, which I had somehow failed to notice was available before this update, so wanted to make sure that I only needed to use "tls" as the sixth parameter for kInit().

Thanks.

Jim

td

Should work fine with just the "TLS" parameter. Postie and your server should negotiate a mutually acceptable version of TLS.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Unfortunately, the kStatusInfo() function does not return any information about the TLS version used so the only way to know for sure that TLS 1.3 was used is to use a packet sniffer or connect to a server that requires 1.3.  Might need to see if the TLS version information can be added to the data returned by kStatusInfo().
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

That probably would be helpful info for people.   I was just going to turn off the lower versions to make sure it didn't have a choice but will have to wait for a 2016 update, assuming they ever do one.  Thanks again though.

Jim