How get rid of "Please wait. Winbatch Processing. . ."

Started by pguild, June 01, 2023, 04:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pguild

I am getting the "Please wait. Winbatch Processing. . ." message and it is obscuring the entire screen.  :'(
I can't make Windows sit up and beg. I can't even beg Windows to do anything.
How do I get rid of that message?

Geez. I tried to attach a screenshot. A simple .jpg file, but the system here told me it did not pass a security check. Ha!

td

By default, that message is not "full screen" unless you are making it that way in your script. You could always use WinHide to hide the main WinBatch window. But is your script otherwise working correctly?
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

pguild

Whether maximized or not, how do crush, destroy, remove, delete that obnoxious window that says, "Please wait, Winbatch Processing. . ."  >:( >:(

td

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

pguild

Well, well, This does not work.  winhide("")  does not work to hide that "Please wait window."  Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong?

JTaylor

Can't speak to what you may or may not be doing but I use this all the time and it works.   Not sure what in your situation would cause it to fail.   Are you placing it at the very top of your script?   Not that this should be required that is where I usually place it.

Jim

pguild

Yes, it's at the top of the script.  What version of Windows are you using? It used to work in Windows 10.  I am using Windows 11.

pguild

Although there are many functions at the top of the code. After all the functions, my main routine starts and tries the hidden("") to no avail.

td

It definitely works on Windows 11. You will have to figure out what you are doing wrong.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

JTaylor

You have checked to make sure you don't have any WinShow() calls?

Haven't tested this so may not be relevant but any chance you have used WinTitle() and set the box title the same as the Dialog title?   Again, not sure if this would matter but just a thought.

jim

td

All WinHide does is turn off the WinBatch top-level window's WS_VISIBLE style. WinTitle does not turn it back on. However, multiple other ways exist to inadvertently or intentionally change a window's style.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

I know.  I was curious about two windows having the same name.   If one was affected  by name, would it affect the other?

Jim

td

Obviously, both WinHide and WinShow do not use the window's name when the parameter is a zero-length string. They just use the internal top-level window handle directly. It is possible to use the WinBatch top-level window's name "WBT" or whatever you set it to to get the same effect if that is what you mean.

This is completely off topic so my apologies in advance.

I have been working on a chatGPT "conversion" to train the algorithm to write proper WIL scripts. After prompting it to fix multiple errors, it came up with this simple script to demonstrate how the basic task is performed:

Code (winbatch) Select
; Hide the WinBatch top-level window
WinHide("")
TimeDelay(2) ; Wait for 2 seconds (you can adjust the delay as needed)
; Show the WinBatch top-level window
WinShow("")
Exit

Very simple task but it is a great leap forward when compared to the algorithm's original attempt.

- Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Quote from: td on June 04, 2023, 09:20:36 AM
This is completely off topic so my apologies in advance.

Out of curiosity: what would be the prompt/question that returns the code?

td

This is part of a very long ongoing "conversion" and I doubt you would get the same result as it has been adapting as mistakes are pointed out. But if you want to try, it was a two-prompt process. The first prompt was "Act as if you are a WinBatch script writer" and the second "Create a WinBatch script to make the WinBatch top-level window be invisible and then visible." I don't think it will happen but if you get the correct result, it means the training is already propagating beyond that one conversation.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

I put the question into the little GUI I wrote and got

; Make the WinBatch top-level window invisible
WinHide("WinBatch")
; Make the WinBatch top-level window visible
WinShow("WinBatch")

[EDIT] and the copilot gave

Q: Create a WinBatch script to make the WinBatch top-level window be invisible and then visible
1: # WinBatch Script to Make WinBatch Top-Level Window Invisible and Then Visible               
2: # Make the WinBatch top-level window invisible                                               
3: WinHide("WinBatch")                                                                           
4: # Make the WinBatch top-level window visible                                                 
5: WinShow("WinBatch")       

td

MSFT likely has a separate model for your PS "Code Pilot" or whatever it is called. I stick to OpenAI's public model with some additional training.  The goal is to eventually create a dedicated WinBatch model but not sure that that will ever happen.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

From my limited knowledge I think the difference in my app is the endpoints - where the copilot searches in GitHub.

td

I did not realize you were using GitHub's copilot. MSFT now has several different "copilot" branded AI models, but the GitHub version is the first and best known. If I remember correctly, you may see some "copilot" assistant on your Windows 11 machine in an upcoming monthly update. It would be in addition to the Bing-aling dingaling search assistant.

Possibly the one impressive feature I have encountered using chatGPT to write WIL scripts is the ability to write accurate code comments. That is something many humans struggle with mightily. 
  - Dr. Tom Cade