Windows Error Reporting Surprise

Started by DAG_P6, June 19, 2015, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAG_P6

A little while ago, I imported an extract of the Application event log that I generated last night into a Excel workbook, by way of a custom template that I created to process the logs generated by the SysInternals  psloglist utility. Just below the first record that was generated by a test run of a C# application that exercises a class library that I am revising, I saw a message that caught my attention because the faulting module path was C:\Program Files (x86)\WinBatch\system\WBDNA44I.DLL. By this morning, when I resumed the investigation, the only remaining evidence was the copy of Report.wer that I found tucked away in the machine's Windows Error Reporting archive.

Since the event log extract was limited to the last day, I ran another one a little while ago, covering the last 7 days. Thankfully, that was the only report, despite the fact that hardly a day goes by that I don't invoke a PopMenu function. The only thing that seems different about this time is that I had restarted the machine only a few minutes before I ran the tests.

The attached archive, FileMenu_Error_Report_20150619_2WWW.ZIP contains the following items.

• Application_Event_Log_Extract.XLSX is the event log extract, trimmed to the records related to the error report.

• Report_20150619_005346.wer is the Windows Error Report file, which I renamed, to prevent accidentally overwriting another such file.

• Windows_Event_Log.XLTX is the Excel template from which I create my event log worksheets.

I included the template as a contribution, because I have been using it for a couple of years, and I think it makes ad hoc event log analysis much easier. The first data row contains conditional formatting that highlights error reports in red, and warning reports in legal pad yellow. Short of writing a macro, I haven't found a way to have the formatting applied to all imported rows. Thankfully, it takes only a handful of mouse clicks to do so.
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.

td

The application in question is no longer a part of the WinBatch distribution.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

DAG_P6

David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.