Browsing Active Directory?

Started by blmuzzy, October 21, 2013, 02:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blmuzzy

Is there an [easy] way to present a graphical view of Active Directory hierarchy, like ADUC does or the way AskFilename() does, such that a user could mouse or cursor to the desired level and select an object?

thanks!
Bob

Deana

Sorry no built in Active Directory Browser function available in WinBatch. Have you considered using a WIL Dialog Itembox control?
Anyone here have suggestions on how this might be accomplished using WinBatch?

http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/tsleft.web+WIL~Extenders/ADSI+Display~list~of~OUs.txt
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

td

Quote from: blmuzzy on October 21, 2013, 02:31:17 PM
Is there an [easy] way to present a graphical view of Active Directory hierarchy, like ADUC does or the way AskFilename() does, such that a user could mouse or cursor to the desired level and select an object?

thanks!
Bob

There are numerous free tools with a UI available for download including the following tool provided by MSFT's SystemInternals group

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963907.aspx
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

blmuzzy

Deana, That's basically what I did, a series of AskItemList dialogs drilling further down from the start OU to Computers or Groups, then another AskItemList for sub OUs under those, etc.  Navigating a single structure would be easier for the user.

blmuzzy

Td, thanks for the suggestion.  I hadn't used  Sysinternals AD Explorer before.  Closely resembles adsiedit.  I'll look for others you suggested because I want to control the start point of the search vs the domain root, and I want to be able to drill into a container, then return the contents in a .txt file.  My need was to be able to, say, take the 100 members of a group and put them in some other document.  ADUC doesn't export to a file in a convenient manner and when the number is significant, doing so manually isn't practical.