MP3 ID3 Cover Artwork TAG?

Started by IJRobson, October 07, 2013, 07:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IJRobson

I am after a method of finding and extracting the Cover Artwork which can be saved in the MP3 File.

I have found a number of WinBatch examples of reading and writing the normal ID3 Tags but not the extended TAGS.

Does anyone know were I can find the Artwork TAG and the format of the Artwork File which I guess this related TAG points?

Thanks

Deana

Sorry doesn't look like there is any prewritten code to handle this. Have you considered possibly using some exiting freeware tool that already handle this?
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

IJRobson

I have third party applications to write and read MP3 TAGS but I have created an MP3 Player with WinBatch and just wanted to display the Cover Art if it was in the MP3 File.

I have searched the Internet for details on the Cover Art JPG image and the Tags but I can't find how they are referenced in the File.  I don't want to use other tools as this should be a simple case of Searching the File for the Tag and then reading the JPG 300x300 (or 200x200) image.

I will try comparing a MP3 without any Artwork, then add some and see what changes.  That may give me an idea of how it works.

Thanks

Deana

Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

IJRobson

Deana,

Thanks, I had already found this page and it contains some information but not enough for me to extract the JPG yet.

The other problem I have found is different MP3 tools use different TAG Versions so I will have to first detect the Format of the File and then once known determine the TAG Type to look for.  The early Versions are fixed size so extracting data is easy but the later ones are variable size so you have to scan the file to find the TAG you are looking for.

I will have another play at the weekend and if I get some code to work I will post it.

ChuckC

What version of Windows are you using?

In the Windows Explorer, when you right-click, choose "properties" and then click on the "details" tab, does it give you any information regarding the cover artwork?

If it does, then take a look at the Property Store Extender:

http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/tsleft.web+WIL~Extenders/_Third~Party~Extenders/Property~Store~Utility+Property~Store~Extender.txt

The Property Store Extender makes use of the same built-in facility in Windows that the Windows Explorer makes use of to access the property metadata within office documents and media files.  If the Windows Explorer can show you the cover artwork information, then the Property Store Extender should be able to access it as well.

Deana

Quote from: ChuckC on October 09, 2013, 10:26:51 AM

In the Windows Explorer, when you right-click, choose "properties" and then click on the "details" tab, does it give you any information regarding the cover artwork?

http://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/tsleft.web+WIL~Extenders/_Third~Party~Extenders/Property~Store~Utility+Property~Store~Extender.txt

The Property Store Extender makes use of the same built-in facility in Windows that the Windows Explorer makes use of to access the property metadata within office documents and media files.  If the Windows Explorer can show you the cover artwork information, then the Property Store Extender should be able to access it as well.

Thanks Chuck I have already considered the Property Store Extender solution. Unfortunately, at least on my system ( Windows 7 ), the cover artwork is not displayed under file properties.
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

ChuckC

Quote from: Deana on October 09, 2013, 10:33:05 AM
Quote from: ChuckC on October 09, 2013, 10:26:51 AM

Thanks Chuck I have already considered the Property Store Extender solution. Unfortunately, at least on my system ( Windows 7 ), the cover artwork is not displayed under file properties.

OK no problem.

I am traveling for work this week, and don't have any MP3s on the new Win8 tablet system I took w/me, so I haven't had a chance to try it myself to see if Win8 can do it.  When I get home I'll give it a try, though.

IJRobson

Chuck,

I am running Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 on various machines but the MP3 Player is running on a Windows 7 machine which does not include the cover art in the File Properties.

I have noticed that the Cover Art  is displayed by Windows Explorer when you display the file list as ICONS.  I am wondering if that is a way in?

I like the idea of the Property Store Extender so I will try that out as it should be a much neater method of of obtaining the TAG details for the files than my Binary String read method I am currently using.

Thanks

ChuckC

Quote from: IJRobson on October 16, 2013, 05:45:18 AM
Chuck,

I am running Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8 on various machines but the MP3 Player is running on a Windows 7 machine which does not include the cover art in the File Properties.

I have noticed that the Cover Art  is displayed by Windows Explorer when you display the file list as ICONS.  I am wondering if that is a way in?

I like the idea of the Property Store Extender so I will try that out as it should be a much neater method of of obtaining the TAG details for the files than my Binary String read method I am currently using.

Thanks

OK, I'm back in the office again, but still not sure if I actually have any MP3 files that include cover art.

Just for giggles & grins, try running the Property Store Explorer script that I wrote as a demonstration of how to use the extender.  You can use it to read all of the properties that are accessible for read access in the property store system, and to modify any that the property store system supports for editing.  Perhaps you will find something that identifies the cover art.

Incidentally, is the cover art present as a separate JPG file [or some other image type] on disk which is referred to by the MP3 files, or is it actually embedded inside the MP3 file(s)?

IJRobson

I can't try your extender currently because I am currently working on a Windows XP machine thus your extender is no compatible.  I should switch back to Windows 7 / 8 (8.1) this weekend again.

The Artwork is imbedded in the MP3 file itself.  According the specification it is a 200x200 or 300x300 JPG image of the artwork with an associated ID3 TAG?

It is possible to also have a TAG which references an external JPG file but then it requires both files to be present in the same folder for it to work.  The other problem with this method is sometimes the TAG points to another JPG file for a different MP3, so you get the wrong artwork up.  So the embedded image is the one I am after.

I will let you know what your Extender reports when I get chance to try it.

Thanks

IJRobson

I have create and attached an example MP3 file which includes ID3 TAG Data and the WinBatch Owl as the CD Cover Art.

IJRobson

I have had a quick play with the extender and the example code and it does display most details out of the MP3 files like Artist, Track Title, Length, Audio Settings etc.  But nothing specifically with a property Name related to Cover Art?

It does reference System.ThumbnailCacheID and System.ThumbnailStream which I guess may relate to the Cover Art?

I will investigate the Extender further as I appears to be a better method of reading the specific ID3 Tag data to Binary Reads I am using.  Once I have got that part working I can look into the Cover Art issue again.

Thanks