Access code broke today

Started by MW4, February 14, 2018, 10:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW4

I believe it was a security patch

Now I get an error here:

Access = ObjectOpen("Access.Application")

I'm uninstalling updates one by one, will keep you all posted

MW4

stanl

I feel your pain.  Just a SWAG but you might need oAccess = ObjectOpen("Access.Application.#")  where # is the version of Access/Office and the oAccess is just in case there is a syntax issue, but more likely you have some major corruption and rebuilding is the answer.

td

You may get lucky and just need to re-register the Access COM server to fix some kind of registry corruption.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

MW4

It's not an Access database issue, they are fine and not corrupted WBT just can't initiate OLE in order to insert rows into the database.
References are ok. Microsoft Office 2016 installed a bunch of updates. I uninstalled them all, but the issue persists.

I'm going to try your version solution, but what's the oAccess vs Access?

MW4

How do I do that re-register the Access COM server ?

td

Quote from: MW4 on February 14, 2018, 01:20:25 PM
It's not an Access database issue, they are fine and not corrupted WBT just can't initiate OLE in order to insert rows into the database.
References are ok. Microsoft Office 2016 installed a bunch of updates. I uninstalled them all, but the issue persists.

I'm going to try your version solution, but what's the oAccess vs Access?

No one said it was an "Access database issue" nor that your databases are corrupt.  WinBatch can't initiate the Access Com Automation object which is the result of something completely different.  If you are lucky the cause of the latter is as previously mentioned deleted or corrupt registry entries.  Corrupt registry entries are an all to common problem of Microsoft's never-ending stream of updates.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

MW4

Was just ruling them out...as Access has a reputation of corruption.
So how do I re register the Access COM server ?

td

You fire up your favorite Web search engine and find out how to use the command line tool. You will likely find something like the following:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490985.aspx

And then you figure out the name and location of the dll or exe you need to register.  In this case, it may simply be <wherever that happens to be installed on your system> "MSACCESS.EXE".

There is no guarantee that this will fix your problem but it has a high enough probability of success to at least give it a try. 
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Forgot to add the usual warning that you should backup your registry before making any changes...
  - Dr. Tom Cade

MW4

Changing to Access.Application.15 doesn't work

trying to register msaccess.exe and getting Entry Point Not Found

ran a SFC /Scannow, no go.

I'm trying an office reinstall

MW4

That did it...an office online repair.

What a pain in the rear day

td

- Dr. Tom Cade