[SOLVED] Error 1028, Requested Drive Not Online

Started by cmp, August 03, 2020, 09:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmp

I have a Winbatch script I've been using for years on Win 7 with a network drive, no issues.

I've moved it to a Win 10 machine, and even though Win 10 can see the same network drive fine, the script fails at the following:

DirChange("Z:")

I get error 1028, "Requested Drive Not Online."  I've tried numerous variations on a theme, but Winbatch seems to refuse to see the Z drive.

Any ideas?  Thanks very much in advance.

ChuckC

What are the differences in the UAC-related settings between the Windows 7 & Windows 10 systems?

Is the script being executed at the same elevation level on both systems?

Is this a persistent network drive that is restored at logon time, or is it connected via a logon script, group policy or some manual process after logging on?

Is the registry setting present that allows network drives to be visible across the boundary between the restricted token and the administrative token?

You'll find the culprit lurking around in the details of the answers to those questions.

td

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

cmp

Thanks for pointing me to the reg key.  Setting the following solved the issue:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLinkedConnections =(dword)1

Thanks again!