Install on Windows 10 w/o Local Admin, not in C:\Program Files

Started by Simon H., September 02, 2020, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon H.

Hello All,

Would I be able to install a brand new version of WinBatch on a brand new (corp) Laptop outside the "C:\Program Files" folder, while not having local admin level for the PC?

FYI, all "Program Files*" folders are locked, and no one (other than PC support) has any admin level on this corp's PCs.

Thank you & best regards,
-Simon @ Nashville, Tennessee

td

Yes, you can.  However, the directories you install to will likely need be "secured".   "Secured" means that only admins and system have write access to the directories.  Also, depending on how your system is configured Windows 10 can auto-detect installation programs and automagically elevate them.  But in your situation that is likely not the case.

Alternatively, you could just have someone with an Administrator user account install WinBatch for you.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Simon H.

Hello TD,

The second option is not something I want to pursue (long and completed to elaborate on it).

I don't understand the "secured" part in your first paragraph.
Based on that, I am assuming that a local admin level is still needed to install WinBatch on that PC, correct?

Thanks!
-Simon

td

Quote from: Simon H. on September 02, 2020, 09:42:18 AM

I don't understand the "secured" part in your first paragraph.
Based on that, I am assuming that a local admin level is still needed to install WinBatch on that PC, correct?

That is not what I said but now that I think about it, it is what I should have said.  The setup.exe program will check for Admin level privileges to a specific registry key and terminate if the running process does not have that privilege.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Simon H.