SDK - Notification Clarification

Started by JTaylor, December 12, 2020, 01:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTaylor

Just wanted to make sure I remember correctly...I cannot detect Notifications from Controls from within an Extender, can I?

Jim

JTaylor

Yea?  Nay?   A bit of a general question but working on the TreeView control and it seems a bit notification dependent to be really useful.

Jim

ChuckC

Giving it a scientific wild-assed guess, I'd say "maybe kinda nay sorta possibly not quite yes"...

The message loop in a GUI application on Windows is processed by the main thread of the process that created the first window that is the parent of all the controls on the window.  That would preclude an extender DLL from getting involved in the message handling.  However, if the treeview control is configurable such that it can be given a pointer to a function that is called whenever the control is attempting to process an event that produces a notification, then maybe possibly perhaps there is a way to do some low-level hacking of process memory to "hook" the control and cause the notifications to result in calling a function exported by the extender.  Of course, figuring out how to correlate a notification with some kind of context w/respect to the script that is consuming the extender's functionality could be a monumental nightmare.

Perhaps Tony and shed some more light on the subject as it relates to WinBatch.

JTaylor

Thanks.   That is sort of what I figured with a leaning towards No, in practical terms.  Maybe Tony will stick some of the events in the Message Map for the Controls I have to create in my Extender??? :)

Jim