Dialogs don't display pictures on Windows 10 Computers

Started by SewWrite, January 11, 2021, 11:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SewWrite

When our program runs in Windows 10, the winbatch dialogs don't display pictures and the images are also missing from picture buttons. DPI doesn't seem to matter and all of the dialogs were created using the WIL Dialog Editor (with dpi setting enabled). Our version of Winbatch is 2020B. Example is attached.

What can I do to get them to display? I've tested this on several Windows 10 computers with the same results and they display correctly on Windows 7. 

td

There are no known issues with regard to bitmaps displaying in a WIL dialog on Windows 10.  If you go to the Windows start menu or PopMenu and run the WinBatch Navigator, you will see the WinBatch peregrine falcon in the upper left-hand corner of the dialog.  That image is nothing more than a PICTURE control in a WIL dialog.

The best way to figure out what your problem is to check your assumptions.  For example, does the bitmap exist in the location describe in your dialog template?  Or have the contents of the bitmap file been altered?   Is security software blocking the display of the bitmap file's contents for some reason?  Is this a permission issue?
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

SewWrite

This is with a complied WinBatch program so shouldn't the bitmaps be embedded into the executable? The computer I am testing on does not have WinBatch installed, just the DLLs required to run it.  I tried running it as an administrator but that didn't fix it. What am I missing here?

JTaylor

Nope.  You could include them as "Other Files" during compile and they will extract upon running the executable, assuming the correct options are set in the compiler.  Permissions might also come into play on the extraction.

Jim

td

Off-topic a bit but another approach to bitmaps would be to encode the bitmaps as strings using uuencoding but it is messy and hardly worth the effort. It would still be necessary to write the bitmap to a file or do a lot of DllCalls so not much would be gained by all the extra work.

The curious thing is that the posted images do not show a bitmap file name in the PICTURE control. When the Dialog function does not find the specified bitmap file it will usually displays the bitmap filename instead as a form of a soft error message.  Of course, that could just be because of the quality or resolution of the posted image.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade