Error Marking

Started by Staudenmaier, October 04, 2023, 11:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staudenmaier

I used to use an expensive programmer's editor called CodeWrite ($400) to prepare WinBatch scripts.  Your Winbatch Studio is almost comparable, so you deserve a big pat on the back.  There are two problems which, at least I, consider noticable, however.

1)  WB Studio, once opened, does not accept files via drag'n drop.   Sometimes I like to look at old scripts and documentation that aren't part of the project.  The easiest way to open these files is by dropping them on the programmer's editor.

Second, every text editor I've ever seen accepts drag'n drop.  Even Windows Notepad.

Third, if WB Studio is written in at least "C", implementing this feature should be very easy.

2) WB Studio seems to mark, at least, syntax errors with ">>".  While this could be useful, I'm afraid I'm too old and set in my ways to like it.  Can I shut this feature off?

>>   :NoComment
>>   >>      
      if StrLen(ScannedLine)>2

>>>>     if ChekScan
   >>>>  >>      ReadLine=ScannedLine
   >>>>    >>      gosub PScan3
   >>>>   endif

>>>>      FileWrite(OutHandle,ScannedLine)

endif

>>     >>   goto NewLine

I take it StrLen() is no longer a function. (That's good 'cause it should have been Len.)  The rest of the routine is also marked 'cause execution will not reach these statements with a syntax error in the first statement.  I guess this has merit.  If only I could shut this feature on and off!

Thanks Very Much!
Robert

td

You are correct. WinBatch Studio does not support drag and drop with regard to opening files. It does support it for some other processes. It is not why it is not supported but Drag and drop is not as simple as one might think to implement because WBS has a lot going on when a file is loaded. The suggestion will be taken under advisement, however.

Not totally sure what you mean by syntax errors because WBS does not mark syntax errors with the greater-than sign. It does use a sideways double chevron to indicate tab characters in a file. That feature can easily be turned on and off using the Options menu. There is a whole section of the Options menu devoted to the tab character and they can be set on a per-file-type basis.

The StrLen function is alive and well in WIL and the name will not change. It is not clear why you think it is not.

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

Staudenmaier

Yes, the option is simply 'Show Tabs' !

Of course, the StrLen() function still exists.  It is chromacolored as a keyword.

I thought the "sideways double chevron" indicated an error and all subsequently unreachable statements following.  But that was just a strange coincidence.

Thanks Very Much!
Robert