How Force FileMenu for all filetypes.mnw to Update?

Started by George Vagenas, September 04, 2014, 09:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Vagenas

I've had this happen before and apart from rebooting I've not found a way to get menu files to update.  I just did a minor change to FileMenu for all filetypes.mnw but the change is not being reflected in Explorer and a commented out script line is still being executed.
It doesn't do this all the time but when it does its really frustrating.  I'm running Win7x64 but I've had this happen with XP and 98 as well.  I opened the file with UEdit and the changes have have been written to disk.  Any suggestion on how to fix this?
Thanks

George

td

There are many variables that can influence system file caching including, system memory, number of open or recently opened files and how an editor opens any give file.  The Windows system cache works in mysterious ways.  Then there is the question of how the shell might be treating any given shell extension.

Also, file meta data is handled differently than the file's actual contents by the system cache so what you 'see' on the hard drive may or may not reflect what is actually the case.

I can' say that I have ever had the problem on my workstation, various test systems/virtual machines or my Ultrabook when using WinBatch Studio.  All systems have WinBatch+Compiler 2014B which is the first version of 64-bit Filemenu to use the 64-bit WIL interpreter dll instead of an out-of-process 32-bit version of the WIL interpreter dll.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

George Vagenas

Thanks Tony -
I was hoping otherwise but when I read "Windows system cache works in mysterious ways" I knew it was in vain.
Thanks

George