************ New NetCore Extender Beta Release ************

Started by td, August 23, 2022, 10:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

td

The NetCore WIL Extender allows WinBatch to host the .NET Core runtime (.NET 6.) 

Version 44001  Aug 23, 2022 (Beta release.)

This extender owes its existence to several user requests for functionality that allows access .NET class libraries in WIL scripts. The user's justification was that many 3rd party .NET class libraries and extensions are written strictly for .NET Core and not for the .NET Framework that is part of the Windows OS.

Since users triggered the development process things have changed some. More and more 3rd party .NET class libraries provide both .NET and Framework versions so the justification has diminished a bit. Nonetheless, development is hard to stop once it starts so we forged ahead anyway.

Since .NET 6 is not part of the OS it requires the installation of the appropriate runtimes and class libraries. The complete installation package is available on Microsoft's Website. A simple web search should be sufficient to find the download links. The 32-bit and 64-bit .NET Desktop Runtime versions are recommended because they contain Windows-specific class libraries to go along with the .NET 6 runtime and cross-platform class libraries. You know you have the correct installation executables when the file name begins with windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.8-win-x...

It is a good idea to read the "Using the Net Core Extender" topic in the help file before you begin*. It lists all the steps needed to use the extender. 

The extender can be downloaded here:

https://files.winbatch.com/downloads/wb/ilcnc44i.zip

Or you can use the vcheck script.

This is beta software so you may find a few bugs and any feedback is appreciated.

*The help file is not yet integrated into Consolidated WIL Help so you will need to locate the file in the WinBatch help subdirectory and click on the file to view it.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Tells me it is malicious.  Odd because all the other zip files download without a problem.   Not sure what might be different but thought I would mention it.

Jim

td

Not that it matters but what is telling you it is malicious? Your anti-malware software or your browser? Either way, it isn't. Antimalware software looks for file names and content. Any byte pattern can inadvertently trigger a response so who knows what is the cause? We make a point of scanning everything we post to our server and the server has antimalware software scanning of its own. 
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Sorry...intended to say Norton's Anti-Virus but somehow left that out.   I didn't really think it was malicious but found it odd that it is the only one which gives that response so thought I would mention it.   Guess I am going to have to turn off Norton's to get it.  It will usually download something and then quarantine it but it blocks all attempts to even download it.   First time I have encountered that.  I can usually work around the issue and tell it, it is okay but it seems to really dislike this file.

Jim

td

I figured the problem was Norton related. Every time someone reports this kind of problem to us it is Norton caused. We had to remove Norton from a build server because it flagged one of the build output files as malware and prevented access to the file. That of course stopped the build process. The interesting part is it didn't flag the file at a different location on the file system and no other antimalware product we put on the system flagged the file at all.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Yeah...I occasionally have problems myself with similar things.   Hasn't been often enough to be a real hassle but know what you are talking about.   Again, didn't think there were any issues with the Extender but just wanted to mention it in case that information was useful.

Jim

td

Antimalware software is more useful than "security experts" I suppose...
  - Dr. Tom Cade