Attempting to install extensions for version 2021 - error

Started by mjwillyone, August 22, 2022, 09:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjwillyone

Hello, all!  I installed Winbatch Version 2021 on a new computer without any problems.  However, after downloading various extensions that I need (from the website) and extracting them, when attempting to install them, I get this error:  "Specified batch file not found." 

Any ideas how I can find the problem?

td

Since the problem is WinBatch cannot find the script "setup.wbt" for one or more extenders, how exactly are you attempting to execute setup.wbt? Also, from which file system directory are you attempting to launch "setup.wbt"?
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

mjwillyone

Thank you for the quick reply.

The files are located on shared server drive and I am (just like I did with the install program) clicking on the file name to install it (as we used to do in older versions, too.)

td

There is absolutely nothing that has changed in how WinBatch locates and loads scripts into memory. So it is not an issue with your version.  Assuming you are referring to File Explorer, it locates the file extension in the registry and starts the indicated executable with the selected file as a parameter.  The setup.exe program configures these registry settings at install time. The installation program is a stand-alone executable whereas the extender installation is a script. The first configures the registry the second is started using the registry so they have different dependencies.

I suspect your issue has to do with the script being on a remote server. Windows shares have various and sundry bugs that seem to come and go with almost every Windows update. There are also convoluted and counterintuitive permission issues involving shares.  You can confirm or eliminate this possibility by running your script after relocating it to and clicking on a locale drive. Note that share-related issues are often intermitted and seem to cluster around a few specific files.

Finally, there is always the possibility of a bad WinBatch installation. This often happens when an installation does not quite complete because of ill-timed user intervention or a system event. Of course, the solution for this situation is to uninstall and reinstall WinBatch.

"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Forgot to mention that another common error is attempting to run setup.wbt before the zip file is extracted to disk. The Windows File Explorer allows you to view the zip file contents as if it is just another folder. The keywords are "as if".
  - Dr. Tom Cade

mjwillyone

Turns out that when I took the unzipped folders and moved them from the shared server drive to the desktop of the machine, I was successful in installing the extensions.  What threw me in this was that I WAS ABLE to install the Winbatch program from the server-file location.  If I was not, I might have moved everything to begin with.  So sorry to have given you this extra work but so much appreciate you help in solving this!!