Binary files anyone?

Started by oradba4u, February 20, 2021, 08:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oradba4u

ALL:
I currently have an ASCII text file that I am using a WinBatch program to read/write. It contains sensitive information, and I'd like to know if there is a file format (like, binary?) that I can read/write that will replace the ASCII text file. I'm really not looking for encrypted top-secret kind of stuff, just something to keep looky-loo's from easily opening notepad to view it.

As always, thanks in advance

stanl

Wow, more homework. Don't know if there is any 'top secret' stuff, but there are multiple ways to encrypt/decrypt in WB... think the Tech DB has a few. But, if you post the structure and some sample data you want encrypted, I'm sure you will get positive responses.

[EDIT]: probably base 64 will suit your needs

[EDIT 2]: actually I want Tony to come up with CLR code for : RijndaelManaged Class

oradba4u

Data file is the same as the comma-delimited problem I was having a few days ago...

Here's a sample of what I've got:

Data file looks something like this:

Line 1 - Data File

ChuckC

Use a technique such as ROT13 for basic obfuscation of text where you need to read & process the text on a per-character basis without having to convert the entire file to plaintext before working with it.  ROT13 has been around for a long time, with historical origins of the technique going back as far the Roman army using to protect written messages.

stanl

thanks Chuck... pretty simple but can be made more complex
Code (WINBATCH) Select

text = "This is Test 5"
offset = 13
rot=""
;encrypt
For i = 1 To Strlen(text)
   char= StrSub(text,i,1)
   rot= rot:num2char(char2num(char)+13)
Next

Message(text,rot)

;decrypt
text=""
For i = 1 To Strlen(rot)
   char= StrSub(rot,i,1)
   text= text:num2char(char2num(char)-13)
Next

Message(rot,text)

ChuckC

Don't forget the modulo arithmetic for either unsigned 8 bit code points [ASCII/ANSI] or unsigned 16 bit code points.  Rollover above 255 or 65535 and underflow below zero must be accounted for if the rotated value is to be stored in the same byte or word in the file.

stanl

Quote from: ChuckC on February 21, 2021, 11:52:51 AM
Don't forget the modulo arithmetic for either unsigned 8 bit code points [ASCII/ANSI] or unsigned 16 bit code points.  Rollover above 255 or 65535 and underflow below zero must be accounted for if the rotated value is to be stored in the same byte or word in the file.

I won't forget, but then it's not my thread :D

JTaylor

That goes without saying...how could anyone forget that?   ;)

ChuckC

That should be easy enough to remember.... it's the two imaginary irrational cube roots of -1 that are more often not thought about...

stanl

Quote from: ChuckC on February 21, 2021, 01:56:41 PM
That should be easy enough to remember.... it's the two imaginary irrational cube roots of -1 that are more often not thought about...

which goes down easy after a 6-pack of Occam's Razor

stanl

makes it a little trickier, if you remember the offset... [run several times for different results]
Code (WINBATCH) Select

text = "This is Test 5"
offset = Random((255 -122)/2)
rot=""
;encrypt
For i = 1 To Strlen(text)
   char= StrSub(text,i,1)
   rot= rot:num2char(char2num(char)+offset)
Next

Message(text,rot)

;decrypt
text=""
For i = 1 To Strlen(rot)
   char= StrSub(rot,i,1)
   text= text:num2char(char2num(char)-offset)
Next

Message(rot,text)

cssyphus

This message late to the party, but don't forget about Alan Kreutzer's RC4 encryption extender - makes the job quite easy:

https://techsupt.winbatch.com/webcgi/webbatch.exe?techsupt/nftechsupt.web+WIL~Extenders/_Third~Party~Extenders/RC4

rc4encrypt(PlainText, Key)
rc4decrypt(EncryptedText, Key)
rc4binary(Pointer, Key)
Is this a pandemic... or an IQ test? newz.icu