Code Signing Companies

Started by pguild, September 23, 2019, 07:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pguild

I'm looking to get one of my apps code signed to avoid it being deleted by Norton antivirus and the usual problems with Windows 10 warning people that the app may be dangerous, and so on.

What company do you folks recommend?

I'm thinking of using https://onlinecodesign.com -- It's just $30 for a permanent code signed certificate.
The process is this: you compile your winbatch script to an .exe file and then upload to the onlinecodesign site. Pay the
$30 and then download the code signed exe file.  There is no renewal needed.  I haven't tried it.

It seems that if you make any changes to update the app, you'll need to pay another $30.
The App is NOT signed with your name, but with SHA256 EV Certificate

I'm not sure this will work with a compiled Winbatch Script since the .exe produces DLL's after it is run.

Another company is
https://www.ssl.com/certificates/code-signing/ -- which seems to cost about $64 a year.

www.codesigncert.com -- $59 a year.

Thanks for your comments.

td

The first site is offering to sign your compiled exe with their certificate.  That more or less defeats half the reasons for code signing.  I am a bit surprised that they get by with that.

The second site will sell you a code signing certificate for $129.00 and not the teaser rate of $64.50 for SSL certificates.   That is a good price but I would check to see who the issuer is before making the purchase.  Also, keep in mind that they may (likely will?) charge more for renewals.

Island Lake Consulting LLC recently changed to DigiCert certificates.  DigiCert certificates are expensive and the vetting process is a bother but in the long run, it makes life easier for tech support and for some of our international customers.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Should also mention that DigiCert owns the certificate businesses of Symantec, GeoTrust, RapidSSL, Thawte, and VeriSign.  However, the root certificates, cost, and vetting process vary depending on the certificate branding.   Island Lake Consulting LLC switched to DigiCert branded certificates.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

pguild

Yes, I would prefer the code signing be done with my name, but right now, I just want the code signed so Windows doesn't make life difficult for users and so Symantec doesn't delete it or block it's activities without warning. 

I'll give it a try later and see what happens (as soon as I get my app stabilized).  Now, I keep adding new features, but can't easily et it tested by users other than myself.  :-X >:(

cssyphus

Many thanks for the extra info in your question, pguild. I must go down this path myself and you have given me a good leg up on the research. Kudos.
Is this a pandemic... or an IQ test? newz.icu