"New" Notification for Board

Started by JTaylor, June 08, 2013, 10:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTaylor

Any way to configure it so that it says if there are any new posts for a Board from the Home page? 

Jim

DAG_P6

Jim, I just noticed the same thing, and I suspect the answer is yes.
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.

stanl

I set the new forum up in FeedDemon (freeware) which handles new posts in all sub-forums and I am replying here from within FeedDemon.

JTaylor

Yes.  Works well from within Outlook as well.  Just would be nice having a visual cue on the forum itself as well.   May cease to be an issue for me if the Outlook approach works well.  Nice thing going that route is I will then have a copy of everything posted to the forum.

Jim

stanl

Quote from: JTaylor on June 09, 2013, 11:55:16 AM
Yes.  Works well from within Outlook as well.  Just would be nice having a visual cue on the forum itself as well.
I agree. Not an Outlook fan myself (too many lockups in my experience). I tried to add it to my Windows Live Mail feeds but the URL was cast back as not a valid RSS.

[EDIT] which I just fixed, had to click on Feeds bar in IE and it is automatically entered into email feeds.

kdmoyers

I set my bookmark to http://forum.winbatch.com/index.php?action=unread
instead of the home page.  It shows just unread messages.
Just my $0.02
-Kirby
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

JTaylor

That might work.  Thanks Kirby.

Jim

Deana

Quote from: JTaylor on June 08, 2013, 10:18:11 AM
Any way to configure it so that it says if there are any new posts for a Board from the Home page? 

Jim

On the home page, where the blue bar is titled "All things WinBatch" ( on the right side of the bar ) locate and click on the "Unread Posts". This will take you to this URL: http://forum.winbatch.com/index.php?action=unread;c=1. It will display all unread posts. Personally I just created a bookmark in IE that goes directly to this URL. 
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

JTaylor

Okay.  So no way to just look at the Home page and easily and immediately know that there were new posts in, say, WinBatch Dialogs.

Jim

Deana

Quote from: JTaylor on June 10, 2013, 08:29:14 AM
Okay.  So no way to just look at the Home page and easily and immediately know that there were new posts in, say, WinBatch Dialogs.

Jim

The icons [to the left of the board title] on the main page change. See the icon key below the board topics.
Deana F.
Technical Support
Wilson WindowWare Inc.

JTaylor

I see.  Thought that might  be the case but guess when I looked before there were no new posts so they were all the same.  Thanks.

Jim