OT: Deana Falk

Started by stanl, October 15, 2022, 05:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stanl

Wanted to send as private message to Tony, but I found out I am not authorized to send messages on this board [but can receive/view/delete]. Anyway, I don't visit LinkedIn that frequently but logged in today and found out Deana had been laid off after 8 years at DocuSign.

For us old-timers: Marty, Tony and Deana [back then it was Deana Dahley as I remember] were the guts of the most excellent Tech support that could be imagined. There are a host of remarks on LinkedIn about her skills and willingness to help. Her Tech support code [with Tony] and comments helped guide me through understanding the initial introduction of the CLR into WB.

td

She was an invaluable member of Wilson WindowWare and I am sure she will succeed no matter what path her career takes. The tech industry is reeling a bit right now. Almost all the big tech companies in the area and the country are cost-cutting including MSFT and Amazon. But this too will pass.

The private message system on the forum was disabled a while back because of misuse.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Quote from: td on October 15, 2022, 07:12:30 AM
The tech industry is reeling a bit right now. Almost all the big tech companies in the area and the country are cost-cutting including MSFT and Amazon.

Just my .02 : titles <> talent; talented people get pushed into titles which the company feels can later be eliminated for younger/cheaper people with some talent.  I have held titles like Mgr/Director and prefer to just be Analyst...  be surprised how many of those jobs are advertised in our area. Nothing against good managers or Directors, but seems you often have to sacrifice some of the talent.  Or you are just a D'k

td

Inflated titles are a source of endless entertainment for those of us who have the freedom to choose any title we wish...
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

td

More like a minnow among sharks.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

oh, yeah, being self-employed certainly allowed for great variety in job titles... "Chief Cook & Head Bottle Washer", "3rd String Assistant Water Boy For The Junior Varsity Swim Team", etc...

td

Another option is to usurp the title of a public figure. One favorite is "Chief Software Architect" borrowed from the former title of you-know-how and another is the title de jour "Chief twit".

- Dr. Tom Cade

kdmoyers

A parallel pet peeve: when did "architect" become a verb?  To say you have architected a new input screen sounds so weird to me. 
It appears to be the same as "design", only with a plea to be paid more.
The mind is everything; What you think, you become.

td

MSFT seems to be the biggest culprit in the trend to turn nouns and adjectives into verbs. I guess they need to control the spoken language as well as APIs, open source, and coding languages.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

Despite the fact that this Onion article was published in '98, it seems like only yesterday...  and very much on-topic:

https://www.theonion.com/microsoft-patents-ones-zeroes-1819564663

td

Arrrgh. Now Amazon Inc. has gotten the disease. They offer "onboarding" which presumedly means becoming familiar with something via a tutorial or some other form of communication. Maybe this tech industry misappropriation of language should be called "languaging"?
  - Dr. Tom Cade

stanl

Quote from: td on November 03, 2022, 10:06:54 AM
Arrrgh. Now Amazon Inc. has gotten the disease. They offer "onboarding" which presumedly means becoming familiar with something via a tutorial or some other form of communication. Maybe this tech industry misappropriation of language should be called "languaging"?

WHAT are you smoking?

JTaylor

That one has been around for quite a while...must be getting recycled.

Jim

td

Quote from: stanl on November 03, 2022, 11:28:25 AM
WHAT are you smoking?

Don't smoke anything. The wife doesn't like smoked meats so I stick to traditional grilling.
  - Dr. Tom Cade

td

Quote from: JTaylor on November 03, 2022, 05:47:58 PM
That one has been around for quite a while...must be getting recycled.

Jim

Yes, Amazon must have hired some Microsofties. 
  - Dr. Tom Cade

ChuckC

I'll happily smoke 15 lbs of brisket a week... but I do draw the line at snorting brisket :P