Neat trick.

Started by morenos1, July 10, 2015, 11:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morenos1

This is a neat trick to display the computer name on the Task Bar (for support time)...

http://www.nextofwindows.com/tip-easily-show-computer-name-in-the-taskbar-in-3-steps-in-windows-7/#comments

I am just trying to find the way to apply it to a high number of machines.

Looking for ideas on how to do it via WinBatch ......

td

There might be a better way but if I were to do this in a WIL script, I would use WinBatch CLR hosting (dotNet) and create a c# in memory assembly that uses COM interop to call the appropriate shell COM interfaces.  The resulting class could then be called to accomplish the task.

With a sufficiently well crafted search string passed to your search engine of choice, you should be able to find the c# code already written. So all you should need is the bit to compile the code on the fly, which can be found in the Tech Database and a basic understanding of how to use dotNet classes in your WIL scripts.

At least, that is the theory. 
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

JTaylor

Have you looked at BGInfo?  It has a taskbar switch and will do what you want plus more.

Jim

td

Certainly, fits the definition of 'easier'.
"No one who sees a peregrine falcon fly can ever forget the beauty and thrill of that flight."
  - Dr. Tom Cade

DAG_P6

Jim,

Quote from: JTaylor on July 13, 2015, 08:16:43 AM
Have you looked at BGInfo?  It has a taskbar switch and will do what you want plus more.

I've known about BGInfo for years, but I was unaware that it could display messages in the taskbar. In a heartbeat, I would use it on my desktop,, except that the information I had at the time indicated that it needed to usurp your wallpaper. The last time I looked into it, which has been a few years, it still had the same requirement.
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.

JTaylor

Using that switch puts an icon in the SystemTray and pops-up the info when you click on it.  Don't know if that will do what the OP needs but thought it might be worth mentioning.

Jim

DAG_P6

Jim,

Quote from: JTaylor on July 13, 2015, 02:09:49 PM
Using that switch puts an icon in the SystemTray and pops-up the info when you click on it.  Don't know if that will do what the OP needs but thought it might be worth mentioning.

IMO, that is much more useful than embedding it into a bitmap file that becomes the wallpaper, especially if such items as the free space on each HDD that are subject to change without notice are computed when you click the balloon.
David A. Gray
You are more important than any technology.